Got my first fencing job

hilog

All the above people who are giving advice need to realise there are numerous different types of concrete posts depending on the manufacturer, telling a novice your way is THE way it is done could be leading the OP down the wrong path.

I have used a few different types, some with preformed bolt holes, some with holes for straining wires and some with channels in which the gravel boards and fence panels slide. The latter I have personally found to be the easiest to use but note that from most suppliers the gravel boards are 6ft wide (183cm) and the europanels are 180cm wide therefore you will need to either add a batten to the panels or cut a section off the gravel board. I know this does not apply to the OP who is making the wooden panels.

I would recommend allowing 1 hour and 2 people per section. I find it easiest with the channelled posts to install the gravel boards as I go along the fence line rather than do all the posts then try and lift a 40kg board 6ft high the following day. The posts are damned heavy. Lifting them from 2ft down a hole if you need to go a few inches more is damned hard work.

Good luck, it isn't rocket science just take your time as there is no trimming a bit off the top of a concrete post if you have set it too high

No need to lift the posts out of the hole if they need a bit cutting off. simply use a wooden post (the same length as the concrete one ) as a template.

If you use postcrete you dont need to worry about propping the posts either, just hold for a couple of mins til it begins to set and double check level before it fully cures, a few bricks are always handy for setting the gravel board level while putting the next post in :thumbup1:

As we all have our own little traits and ways of doing this straight forward task heres a link for you

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKGasOoKsCY]Installing a Fence - YouTube[/ame]

simple enough really,I'm used to working these on my own and the hard part is shifting the gear into position after 8 or 9 posts and moving gravel boards into position it starts to get a bit knackering.

hope this helps

All the above people who are giving advice need to realise there are numerous different types of concrete posts depending on the manufacturer, telling a novice your way is THE way it is done could be leading the OP down the wrong path.

I have used a few different types, some with preformed bolt holes, some with holes for straining wires and some with channels in which the gravel boards and fence panels slide. The latter I have personally found to be the easiest to use but note that from most suppliers the gravel boards are 6ft wide (183cm) and the europanels are 180cm wide therefore you will need to either add a batten to the panels or cut a section off the gravel board. I know this does not apply to the OP who is making the wooden panels.

I would recommend allowing 1 hour and 2 people per section. I find it easiest with the channelled posts to install the gravel boards as I go along the fence line rather than do all the posts then try and lift a 40kg board 6ft high the following day. The posts are damned heavy. Lifting them from 2ft down a hole if you need to go a few inches more is damned hard work.

Good luck, it isn't rocket science just take your time as there is no trimming a bit off the top of a concrete post if you have set it too high

the op said he was doing a closeboard fence, no channels in posts for this,there are mortises for closeboard, channels for panels:thumbup1: