Wedding Sign Carving

Fencing Nick

Hi

My brothers wedding is coming up and his future wife has asked if I can make some sort of sign saying 'wedding' or 'mr and mrs .....' Etc. I am an NOVICE at this. Just about past the mushroom stage and on to stools and chairs, and toying with small detail. Does anyone have any ideas for something easy but effective??

Thanks

Nick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Nick,

How big a sign ?

If not massive then how about a sanded disc/tree slice about 15" or more.

You could router the script out.

Better still, how about making a large cutting/serving board with some script on one side. That way they can keep using it after the big day:thumbup:

Cheers,

Si

Whatever size you are planning double it as whenever I make signs to direct deliveries etc. I always wish I had made them bigger.

Simple idea for signs is strip down a couple of pallets or add small straps to fill in the gaps if you prefer. Mark out your lettering with a pencil. stand back and make any adjustments. Blow torch the letters lightly and ensuring all the edges of the lettering are covered don't worry about going over the lines. The graphite in the pencil will remain to help with the next bit.

Get an angle grinder and sand round all the letters carefully. If you have a dremel they are great for the trickier letters. use the sander to scallop the edge of the pallet if you want and blow torch it then sand up to the edge of the scallop to get a clean finish.

You can then stain or use a wood preserver to keep it looking good.

Thats not half bad for a first punt man. As said above, with bigger logs it would have more impact, and if you could make sure to have all the letters a consistant height too.

Just a thought but what about a vertical sign carved out of a standing section. Not sure how you planned on displaying your letters that you have done individually. This would bring it together and make it easy to setup on the day etc, might want to sain the background a little darker too so that it stands out. Something like this;

LOTSIGN01small-1.jpg

Yeah a few of those letters came out a bit smaller than the others. I wish I had some bigger wood to use but unfortunately don't! I like that design but how do you get in to the 'corners' to finish it? Chisel? or another special to? i.e with out leaving curves with end of the bar?

Too many idea to try out here! Thanks again though.

The vertical (can also be horizontal) log sign letters were all chainsaw and no chisel.

I developed the font especially for chainsaw.

1. Flatten the face of the log

2. Outline the "block" of letters to a consistent depth (2"??)

3. Bevel from the outside edge of the flat to the 2" cut (under cut the "block" but just a little

4. Finish defining the letter faces

5. Sand the faces smooth and finish.

You can find the font pattern on chainsawcarve.ca