Scotland get together.

Tom D

Hi Folks, not wanting to de-rail this thread, but we're still in talks with the ISA & Barony with regards to hosting the Scottish Tree Climbing Championships here in Dumfries & Galloway.

Things have been a wee bit quiet on this front as there's still a lot of decision making to be done, but thought it might be worth a mention?

Dates & Venue (assuming of course that it does happen!) will be announced as soon as they're confirmed!

Cheers

James

Wm Clark & Son

Parkgate

Dumfries

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks James, welcome to the forum, I would'nt mind seeing a climbing comp, I would even have a go if all the other competitors were oldish and slow like me.:001_tongue:

Went to the auctions at Newtown ST Boswells today, I stopped off and took some pics of a couple of the silver firs at Abbey St Bathans, they do look good.:001_smile:

The last pic is of some trees I planted as whips about 15 years ago, they're coming along nicely.

597653e595401_Silverfirsblackerston007.jpg.77c4104785b616f94400e7cb59af0772.jpg

597653e5919fa_Silverfirsblackerston002.jpg.3d5c9080c77bb9cc7ab490c22807e0ad.jpg

597653e58f3a9_Silverfirsblackerston003.jpg.983176fef8dc16acfa69dd856353bd71.jpg

597653e58c5e1_Silverfirsblackerston005.jpg.47ec869b7fbeb7967a683533806b9f6e.jpg

597653e588ec4_Silverfirsblackerston006.jpg.09e582d7bfa57668fa55ebce89b3c27c.jpg

So what else would go down at this get together? I know most of us aint NPTC instructors, but is a wee bit of instruction in order? Alasdair has flagged up rigging techniques, folk are forever asking me about the basics of splicing. Are there any other things people want to know about? Just an idea to pool topics and see what we can discuss etc.

Jamie

I'm happy for people to have a play with the hobbs, and I for one would like to get a few splicing tips from Jamie. All things considered I reckon just hanging around with a bunch of like minded tree guys will be be both educational and a good laugh. I have aways enjoyed doing the NPTC courses for the same reason, It would be very easy to get stuck in your ways and never try any new kit or techniques if you didn't get chance to see and hear how other people tackle the same problems. Arbtalk itself is pretty good for this but there's no substitute for learning in the field.

i dont know how people will react to this im not taking the piss but do you think there would be any chance of spiking? i also know you dont spike live trees i was meaning if there are any dead ones would we be able to spike them.

i supose i should really start writting all my questions down just now. lol

i dont know how people will react to this im not taking the piss but do you think there would be any chance of spiking? i also know you dont spike live trees i was meaning if there are any dead ones would we be able to spike them.

i supose i should really start writting all my questions down just now. lol

go up the woods and find a dead elm. there are plenty about:001_smile:

If we use Abbey St Bathans as a venue then I am sure we could do spiking / dismantling. I have made some enquiries and there is the possibility of some other venues closer to Edinburgh, I have yet to see the trees but I am told that they are ok, there would probably not be the chance to spike / dismantle or to camp overnight though.

I know its still a long way off but if anyone has any feedback on this or any alternative venues please post soon as I'd like to give as much notice as possible to hosts and attendees. A friend of mine who is an NPTC instructor / assessor may be able to attend and possibly bring allong other kit, GRCS, SRT stuff etc. for us to have a look at which would be nice. I am assuming that people feel free to invite other tree surgeons who may not be on here ( I was thinking of asking a few people that I know ) I take it everyone is cool with this.

Anyway keep your thoughts and suggestions coming so that we can all get the most out of this.:001_smile:

if we get to spike that would be cool but if not thats also cool they aint our trees so need to do what the owner says.

are we any closer to finding out where were going now thats theres 3 palces been mentioned?

ill be asking a few folk if they fancy it but i reckon they will say its to far away. 1 of which is arb garry who is a member on here but aint been on in ages