Root Pruning?

Taupotreeman

Their willingness to cooperate and facilitate an aletrantive approach heer all depends on the value, in all it's various forms, they place on the trees and often the local comunity will have a strong, and sometimes influential view, on this....a 'tree positive' one I hope.

As a former Tree Officer in Cheltenham, our engineers were prepared to construct a gentle ramp, using bitmac as more flexible than concrete, over rootplates of 'significant' trees and, 'in turn', we removed less significnat trees (usually Prunus 'Kanzans'.)

In Seattle, where I had the privelege to visit many moons ago, they actually constructed a step 'up and over' and then down...very impressive.

Compromise, as always, i sthe name of the game.

Hope this helps...a little.

Cheers, n 'good luck'.

Paul

+1 for AA teccies advice. Just have to make the tree is healthy and fighting for it is worthwhile.

A good authority will have this covered with a policy in a Tree strategy i.e not to remove mature healthy trees as they are valuable and not replaceable for many years. A strategy is the way to go; agreed within the Authority and by the Authority.

A strategy is a long haul but the big plus is that long term it saves time and money(authority will like that) as it saves effort dealing with everything as an individual case and avoids inter departmental liason as they will have agreed how to deal with tree issues in the Tree Strategy.

Sorry about the situation Taupotreeman, this is typical prehistoric primative behaviour that dismayed me in NZ. A young country in infrastructure that could learn so much from the mistakes of other countries with environment issues and practices.

Keep us updated on outcome. Hope the meeting goes well.

I take it the managers never walk the streets in the hot sun and enjoy tree shade?

If you do a presentation, get some pictures of people enjoying street trees, I know once at mount maunganui I used a trees shade to see the screen on my macbook as in full sun It was not possible.

Well, a couple of meetings today, one negative and one positive. The first went to show that either my urban planning manager doesn't give a hoot about trees or I've brassed him off that much he just doesn't want anything to do with me. Wasn't interested in anything tree related. Sorry, thought urban planning included the streetscape. The second meeting with the district manager was much more positive. He's happy to trial hotmix or tarmac instead of concrete slab. More updates to follow sure. I've no idea how people put up with working for government departments.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App