softwood per cube

Janlogger

Hi all, mainly deal in Christmas Tree's, but can be very seasonal as you can imagine! Diversified into coal, netted logs etc but seems there is a call for loose loads of firewood in my area of the South West which I am hoping to act on ... being green to firewood processing, after a few phone calls emails etc I have managed to get the first quote being softwood, delivered at £60 a cube ... this sound reasonable? And is there a way of working out how much split wood we could get from a cube, and then applying this to a whole lorry load? We obviously need to make a profit after forking out for a shed load of timber and then there is the labour involved (which I will do!)

Cheers ...Jan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1m Tonne bag of softwood delivered for £60 is quite fair I think.

Tonne bag isn't necessarily 1m3 of Logs. I would suggest it is around 0.65 m3 in Stacked volume and 0.85-1.00 m3 In Loose volume.

1m3 of stacked split dry softwood will weight around 300 kg.... When 1m3 of wet wood will be around 450 kg. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for that, so for example a 1m3 trailer would carry a solid 1m3 lump of wood, but if you were to split that, given air gaps even if it was stacked tightly you would not get the entire original cube of wood in ... if a cube of softwood stacked and dry weighs 300kg, then you could get 3 and a bit trailer loads? Sounds a bit too much, I would have thought double at best? But then again thats whay I'm asking!

Cheers, Jan.

I tried to understand what exactly do you mean by getting 3 and a bit trailer loads, but just can't understand what you mean.

Nowadays you won't find people supplying loose firewood by weight as dry and wet wood will weight different. Seasoned wood will weight more than kiln kiln dried, Hardwood initially weights more than softwood.

So to be honest Kiln Dried to 15% Alder will be probably 2/3 of what Seasoned Ash to 25-30% will be.

People advertise Tonne bags of firewood - because if you fill it up with sand it will weight around a tonne, but as mostly people just dump firewood in the bag and shake a little bit it does look like something around 1m3 but people do forget that they are also buying air in between the logs.

More often people in the UK supply a mysterious "loose load" which can be anything really. They claim to fill a loose transit but you wont really know how much wood you have got delivered there until you start stacking it all up.

Hope this helps,

Andres