357xp seized up advice please

Redthunder

Hi lads I was cutting some large ash tress yesterday into rings and my husky let go my muffler had become loose and was blowing I couldn't here much difference in noise with muffs on but my mate said it was loud. all I can think is the hot muffler gas must have been coming out the back of the muffler and cooked the pot causing a seize the pull cord was was solid? I took out the plug and managed to ease the piston up and down but compresssion is down and will not start is it fooked now or is it a simple piston and ring ?????

The exhaust is an integral part of the tuning on a 2 stoke. If its loose or missing it lowers the back pressure which effects the airflow/fuel balance which in reality makes the engine run lean. A lean engine will soon sieze.

I doubt a ring will cause it, I expect you will need a new piston and pot, or at least a cleaned (spudded) pot and new piston.

When I get these in I always try to salvage the cylinder and then fit a decent quality piston - a new OEM pot and piston is around £250 before you get in to labour.

There is nothing wrong with the 357XP - one damn fine saw IMO and have a decent turn of speed - running it with a known fault killed it and not the build:blushing::001_tt2:

They have the two M6 bolts holding the muffler on and a further 4 M5 bolts holding the lower support plate in place - reckon the bolts may have just been not tightened enough on reassembly.

Avoid the Chinese aftermarket kit as it can be suspect and make sure the saw is checked over if a repair is done - airleaks are best found before the repair is fried again:001_huh::blushing::001_rolleyes::lol:

When I get these in I always try to salvage the cylinder and then fit a decent quality piston - a new OEM pot and piston is around £250 before you get in to labour.

There is nothing wrong with the 357XP - one damn fine saw IMO and have a decent turn of speed - running it with a known fault killed it and not the build:blushing::001_tt2:

They have the two M6 bolts holding the muffler on and a further 4 M5 bolts holding the lower support plate in place - reckon the bolts may have just been not tightened enough on reassembly.

Avoid the Chinese aftermarket kit as it can be suspect and make sure the saw is checked over if a repair is done - airleaks are best found before the repair is fried again:001_huh::blushing::001_rolleyes::lol:

Hi mate I bought new bolts the other day after you told m6 1 mm thread. I dogged them up tight but they still rattled loose I'm not saying 357xp is a crap saw its an animal but oak and ash must shake everything loose. Nothing seems to fall off my stihl.