What age is to old

chipper080

Im forty, and climb all day every day and been doing it for almost twenty years. Climb with guys way younger and theyre always a bit blown when i tell them my age. If your fit and its what you wanna do, do it. Theres no to old in opinion only your body will tell you sore backs don't count ( unleess injured) you get them from desk jobs and driving. I wouldnt wanna do anything else whats more fun, exciting and satisfying than this job.

Very true and thank you,

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think age is an issue to start climbing, but how long you have been doing it:thumbup:

Of all the advice given along this thread,this is possibly the most relevant.Age itself is not necessarily the issue and I have known climbers over the years that are 'burned out' at a young age, others that have bad joints etc at an older age. I started climbing some time ago but got my tickets when I was 44 when I went into arb work full time.....now 51 and over the past few years have worked all over the uk climbing ..

The thing is that when you start late, perhaps you havent built up the collective damage to your body that some people have since their twenties.By their 30's some climbers are showing the strain.

Also, given the working culture that was prevalent when I was younger, the word "can't" never came into it.I have worked alongside guys of 60 plus and learned lots from them....the good thing about getting older is that you become less likely to give in and more likely to forge ahead and prove you can do it.....so get in there and enjoy it mate.:thumbup:

I did cs38/39 when I was 39, it was easy, but for the last few years I've been training parkour 3 times a week with these chaps in the video below. I wouldn't have found it quite so easy in my early thirties as my fitness was on a steady slope downwards while my weight was edging upwards. Climbing is all dependant on technique, fitness level and weight. You can pick up some basic climbing technique at a local climbing centre, and learn some rope skills. Your strength will improve as a direct result and if weight is a limiting factor you will soon realise it and start to make sensible decisions about what you eat.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj68BKS-gwA]Strength Training And Conditioning For Parkour 3 - YouTube[/ame]