Super split log splitter

richardwale

just gathering the bits to make one as they are not available over here due to not being ce marked. Got my flywheels and engine. Trying to get a good price on the rack and pinion. The other one similar is the DR Rapidfire.

Here is a good clip of a home made one but maybe a little over complicated?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXl4FZEqw6c]Kinetic baler Flywheel log splitter. Splitfire Supersplit - YouTube[/ame]

There is more to it than meets the eye when it comes to but that life!!

I would like to see it on green timber, the logs he is using are dry as a bone. It looks very complicated as opose to a Hydralic splitter.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see he uses the flywheel off a baler and I had a brainwave :001_cool: why not just use the baler the back and fro motion is already there,just weld the spliting wedges in the chamber,you could even use the forks to pull the logs in.:lol:

Seen a vid of a baler made into a log splitter and its dangerous!! quite effective though!:sneaky2:

um rack and pinion in hardend steel 595 quid. I have everything else i need kicking around pretty much but it won't be cheap splitter. A grand i'd think.

There are some youtube clips splitting oak ect.

that baler is asking for trouble and with my track record a definate no no.

Edited by mudflap

um rack and pinion in hardend steel 595 quid. I have everything else i need kicking around pretty much but it won't be cheap splitter. A grand i'd think.

There are some youtube clips splitting oak ect.

that baler is asking for trouble and with my track record a definate no no.

£595? Go & get yourself a scrapped capstan lathe around 2 Tons for say £350, take the rack & pinion out & then re - scrap it for £340.

Must be lots of other industrial stuff uses rack & pinion systems? If I was making one I think I'd mount the pinion to the shaft (rather than having an integral pinion like the DR one), maybe with a shearbolt or soft woodruff key.

£595? Go & get yourself a scrapped capstan lathe around 2 Tons for say £350, take the rack & pinion out & then re - scrap it for £340.

Must be lots of other industrial stuff uses rack & pinion systems? If I was making one I think I'd mount the pinion to the shaft (rather than having an integral pinion like the DR one), maybe with a shearbolt or soft woodruff key.

The rack is off the shelf and £196. it's the pinion that is dear. in plain its £195 but £395 for Nitride hardend teeth.

I've read on a few american forums of shafts twisting and shearing off if they are not hardend. It would be much cheaper to buy just a pinion to mount on a shaft (about £30) but the largest bore shaft would be 25mm and i think it wouldn't last long especially after it's had a keyway cut in it.

I'm trying to see if i can get some of the key bits from the uk DR power importer at a better price.

Bloody Brussels!!