Pollards - Leave fingers or not

cheesmanator

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a rule of thumb for leaving stubs on ancient pollarded Hornbeams at Hatch Park SSSI. We have been doing stage reductions there over the last ten years and are now on the 2nd cut where we cut the regrowth back to the vicinity of the bole leaving stubs and some lower lateral growth where possible.

The guide for length of stubs is "five times the diameter" so look for the thickest stem, guess it's diameter, multiply by five this gives you a rough gauge of the length of stub from the bole and then cut the other stems at around that height while looking to retain dormant buds and epicormic growth where possible.

I'll try and post some pics if I can find some.

Re: Tony Croft's recent post, ditto on the reading material, also check out Dr David Lonsdale his research on effects of pruning on trees is quite enlightening.

The lozzatrees method :D

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Isn't that saying effectively 'don't turn big trees into pollards'? As for stubs, isn't that down to the usage and specie of the target? When I removed all growth of some willow pollards, the management was for ecological grounds, but other trees have been reductions, so have left knuckles, and on others I have left stubs, in some cases, over one foot of branch, so I would have thought really it would be down to the professional's discretion on how it would be ideally managed?

Isn't that saying effectively 'don't turn big trees into pollards'? As for stubs, isn't that down to the usage and specie of the target? When I removed all growth of some willow pollards, the management was for ecological grounds, but other trees have been reductions, so have left knuckles, and on others I have left stubs, in some cases, over one foot of branch, so I would have thought really it would be down to the professional's discretion on how it would be ideally managed?

thats what I have been saying above also:001_smile:

But also that with special circumstances (i.e structural faults) pollarding may be initiated (as the standard suggests in annexe C) on larger dimensions than those within the "normal parameters" I.e as the standard suggests 50mm-200mm

The lozzatrees rule of thumb as used by us is for repollarding lapsed pollards. The Lollipop Lime annual scalp seems to me so unnatural as to need no rationalisation in terms of tree physiology.

An annual scalp would have been used for animal fodder in times gone by, it is only like a crown shatter and aurochs or deer grazing a low shatter