Trailer Test

benedmonds

The consensus seems to be I need to send him on training.

Does he need a three day £650 course or should a couple of hours with an instructor be enough. I know it depends on his driving standard, just interested in others experience.

There is a company in Burton who do 4 hour training at the football ground car park in their own vehicle and trailer - they assess if they are good enough to go straight for test or if they need further lessons . Cant remember prices but think its below £200 . Weve had two do it neither needed further lessons and passed first time .Google trailer training in Burton on Trent i know its not far from you, ill try later to find the number

hi i would advise getting some lessons,i thought i was good driver mainly country driving, went out for a few lessons then failed test twice, it is exactly the same test as hgv test, also same fail points as you get on proper car test except that lasts about 45 min, trailer test is about an hour and half driving, also if you are using your own vehicle and trailer it needs to be spot on, if you turn up and a bulb is blown on your trailer, you cant do test and still get charged, in total with lessons,jeep and trailer hire and resits it cost me about a £1000, towed trailers,and caravans before and after and cant say i realy changed the way i do any thing, exept now im legal, :thumbup1:

hi i would advise getting some lessons,i thought i was good driver mainly country driving, went out for a few lessons then failed test twice, it is exactly the same test as hgv test, also same fail points as you get on proper car test except that lasts about 45 min, trailer test is about an hour and half driving, also if you are using your own vehicle and trailer it needs to be spot on, if you turn up and a bulb is blown on your trailer, you cant do test and still get charged, in total with lessons,jeep and trailer hire and resits it cost me about a £1000, towed trailers,and caravans before and after and cant say i realy changed the way i do any thing, exept now im legal, :thumbup1:

Same as me, I towed all sorts for about 5 years after I did my test at the age of 22.

I failed twice on normal driving stuff, nothing to do with the trailer.

Ended up costing me roughly £600.

The best lesson I had was in a Ford Focus with a normal driving instructor for two hours the morning before I took the test.

I still should have failed the 3rd test because I never used the handbrake when I was supposed to, but the examiner was good and told me he cold tell I was in control of the vehicle, which was nice of him. (Or maybe he was under that months pass quota, you can never tell)