Any arbtalking veg growers in da house?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Great thread, finally got through 17 pages so have caught up now. Some inspiring stuff and need to get my act in gear with mine. Made raised beds last year and spent most of it cat proofing the thing, will do some more research this year regarding planting as failed with onions and beetroots last year but may have been the wet weather. great pictures too guys

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mdt i am suprised that you did not dung it first,

but i need to sub soil mine this year and would love to plough it but a 4 faough reverable is a bit to big to use but will have to make do

I was intending to put muck on it but unfortunately due to weather it never got done an also due to work wasn't sure if get the time to do it so have done without see what happens. The soil seems to have plenty of worms and matter breaking down in it, the land hasn't grown anything for years so had a good rest so hopefully it will be productive.

Re. cat repellents.

Can you believe this EU bunkum! taken from this page.Buy Silent roar lion manure

Silent Roar used to be sold as a cat deterrent, however the natural make up of the product has prevented the manufacturer getting the product the necessary new EU certification for chemicals, as it's not a chemical and the make up of every batch of lion poo is different as it depends on what the lions have eaten. This means as deterrents are regulated by the EU law. (Don't we all love some of the EU laws) the product is now sold as an organic fertiliser - but the product is exactly the same and nothing has changed! Apart from the fact we can no longer legally say it deters cats.

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone got anything on the go yet? Albeit this cold snap may deter some from even thinking its worthwhile at the moment.

Since my last post, I've managed to get all my beds turned over and manured, with the exception of the "root crop" bed. One of the firms I work for rent yard space on a cattle farm. So I was able to fill up my little van with a few bags of well rotted cow manure. Yum!

During the fasle dawn spring before this weeks return to winter I managed to plant out my onions (Unwins - 50 assorted) yellow; white & red. Garlic - white & red (Unwins again). Shallots - Red Gourmet (yep Unwins again).

Some of the garlic I have planted in the root bed as companion plants for my carrots. I have had terrible problems with carrot fly, something I've read suggested planting garlic with carrots as it masks the scent (of the carrots). Moderatly successful last year. Although this was backed up with two applications of "Nemasys" a nematode biological control for carrot fly and a few other veggie munching beasties.

Carrot seeds sown - Resistafly & Nandor (both with some resistance to carrot fly), in the same bed I've also sown parsnips - Gladiator. Red & white spring onion seed sown & some Pak Choi - Ruby in the salad bed.

Thats all thats in the ground at the moment, may sow some brassicas and peas this wk/end, but they will be in pots and kept under cover until at least May time before planting out.

Seed potatoes are chitting at the moment, and hoping to get them in the ground by the end of this month. Once its had chance to start warming up again after this current cold spell. Three varieties on the go. 1st early - Casablanca; 2nd early - Albrt Bartlett - Anya & main crop - Albrt Bartlett - Apache

been out and bought some cloches today so I can get on with some planting out, got fed up of the weather! Been out digging it over today and im cream crackered, so much yet to dig! The nettle roots and perennial grasses are slowing things a lot. When ive finished it and got the cloches on I will post some pics up

also came across this document regarding preserving veg

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicveg/downloads/Storage_organic_produce_report.pdf

Mulch with black plastic what you dont manage tony and plant sweetcorn, courgettes, pumpkin and many other things. It will make it much easier in the busy summertime and next season the weeds should of mostly rotted off.

Mulch with black plastic what you dont manage tony and plant sweetcorn, courgettes, pumpkin and many other things. It will make it much easier in the busy summertime and next season the weeds should of mostly rotted off.

The long term plan is a no dig wood based mulch system but this year im doing all the beds for the brassicas with lime, and prepping the ground for the spuds etc, will be easier next year for sure, cardboard mulch with chip over top, no dig whatsoever:thumbup1: