Digger grapples?

haforbes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bucket crowd ram is plumbed with a T junction so that the control to curl the bucket then rotates the grab

That's correct. Standard fitment on my 1.5t Schaeff. The T-fitting incorporates a tap so the crowd ram is out of action when using the rotator.

Just a big grapple we have specced for a client to make use of his own 20 tonne machine whilst we do some clearance work for him.

It arrived today and certainly looks a monster!

Eddie.

That looks big enough to live in.

Edited by slack ma girdle
spellingps as usual

I am planning on spending the extra and getting a grab and rotor. Something I am wondering about it how it all gets plumbed in?

You do need two extra lines. One is commonly already standard fit for a pecker attachment with a second requiring plumbing. My digger actually had two sets already plumbed so I looked into a rotating grab.

In the end, I went for a fixed grapple. The primary reason being cost. Rotating grabs are 2 to 4 times the price at the budget end before plumbing. Also, grab rotors take up a fair bit of the head room available at maximum elevation so would limit the ability to grab logs from the top of a pile, particularly with smaller diggers.

Having used the grapple it is easy to home in where you need to be and pick up selectively. Even largish logs at an angle (say up to 30 deg) can be grabbed effectively.

So, I have no regrets that I didn't go for a rotating grab and suspect I would have regrets had I gone for a rotating grab.

You do need two extra lines. One is commonly already standard fit for a pecker attachment with a second requiring plumbing. My digger actually had two sets already plumbed so I looked into a rotating grab.

In the end, I went for a fixed grapple. The primary reason being cost. Rotating grabs are 2 to 4 times the price at the budget end before plumbing. Also, grab rotors take up a fair bit of the head room available at maximum elevation so would limit the ability to grab logs from the top of a pile, particularly with smaller diggers.

Having used the grapple it is easy to home in where you need to be and pick up selectively. Even largish logs at an angle (say up to 30 deg) can be grabbed effectively.

So, I have no regrets that I didn't go for a rotating grab and suspect I would have regrets had I gone for a rotating grab.

Agree 100%. Rotating grapples are a waste of money on smaller machines. A grapple is much more versatile, it can be used to pull stumps, pluck saplings etc.

• 7 months later...

What dya think to the hydraulic thumbs for mini diggers, like the one in this video?

I like how it tucks right out of the way under the arm and that it can be used alongside a standard bucket, bit of a multi-purpose tool without having to changeover. Looks far more useful than a fixed thumb.

F R jones sell something similar to this, i think:

[ame]

[/ame]

Here is the hydraulic thumb grab on F R Jones ....£425 inc vat, which sounds a fair price. Anyone used this? And, would it be any good for pulling out scrub, brambles, etc including the roots?

Hydraulic digger thumb grab | F R Jones and Son

Great to have tucked away on your jib when using a bucket, for moving the odd log or rock.

Useless, however, compared to a proper grapple for the tasks you refer to.