Ifor Williams over ride for brakes when reversing

hazzygawa

HI SEAN in mud will not work mate thanks jon :thumbup:

How come? I don't remember any difference based on the surface - as soon as reverse movement of the wheels is detected, the brakes are released :confused1:

I can only think that they need adjusting if it's sticking due to the traction not being enough to apply sufficient pressure to release it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come? I don't remember any difference based on the surface - as soon as reverse movement of the wheels is detected, the brakes are released :confused1:

I can only think that they need adjusting if it's sticking due to the traction not being enough to apply sufficient pressure to release it.

HI HCR in mad there a night mere you may be right re not enough to apply sufficient pressure to release it :thumbup1:but on tarmac ours was ok but in mud :laugh1:jon :thumbup:

Ours was doing this a lot. We stripped down the hubs to find nothing left friction surface wise. Plus I reckon it's maybe rusted/old cables locking up slightly. I don't think the resistance of mud helps though.

But when behind a 120hp tractor it didn't matter whether they were on or off in the mud!

Ours was doing this a lot. We stripped down the hubs to find nothing left friction surface wise. Plus I reckon it's maybe rusted/old cables locking up slightly. I don't think the resistance of mud helps though.

But when behind a 120hp tractor it didn't matter whether they were on or off in the mud!

Hi mate keep push it up well with 120 hp jon

with auto reverse brakes there is a spring which lets off the tension when reversing so brakes will disengage when you reverse. that is why they are called auto reverse brakes

So why do I.W sell a manual reverse kit ?

Because how ever well maintained the braking system is there are times and situations that they will not release when reversing especially if you have tri axle trailers then there is sometime a wheel or axle not in complete contact and as the autoreverse relys on the torque of the reversing wheel to basically force the shoes against the spring untill they release if there is not enough friction between the wheel and the ground then the wheel will not provide enough torque to overcome the spring resistance !

i wouldnt know about this as i have never towed off road with loaded ifors and wet grass deep mud snow full loads or anything ~!

Nor have i ever got stuck or had problems reversing !

Because how ever well maintained the braking system is there are times and situations that they will not release when reversing especially if you have tri axle trailers then there is sometime a wheel or axle not in complete contact and as the autoreverse relys on the torque of the reversing wheel to basically force the shoes against the spring untill they release if there is not enough friction between the wheel and the ground then the wheel will not provide enough torque to overcome the spring resistance !

:thumbup1:Exactly

The question was to Sean.

I agree with you and Mendip Jon.