West Malling, Kent

Minotaur

Bit of an up date: Household Contents Insurance company are refusing to pay for any tools! They have a clause excluding business equipment, so £10-12,000 out of pocket by the look of it!!

So a bit of advice, if you rely upon your household insurance to cover your tools - please check the small print.

Edited by Minotaur
extra info

Sorry for the late reply - I have done exactly that.

I have even got my acctant to wtite confirming that I am seld employed and th etools are purchased via a bank account in my own name, Not a corporate entity!

This has bow been passed up to Senior Management, waiting for answer.

Some of the tools I am sure I will get - knives, axes, billhooks etc, as these are hobby use not work.

Fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of an update - Do NOT ever insure with Direct Line!

They have constantly moved the goal posts, and everytime we thought we were actually getting somewhere they demand another bit of info, etc, etc

The latest - 9 weeks after the break in, numerous contacts, them teling us on at least 4 ocassions that they are requesting payment/authorising payment/don't know why you haven't been paid etc, they want to see the receipts that I gave to the assessor on the initial visit!

Now they have demended that I sign some letter that states that I am under insured, they would then possibly have grounds to refuse the claim.

It goes on - today we have contacted the Ombudsman, he has to notify the Insurer of our complaint and give them two months to sort it!

What a farce!

• 5 weeks later...

Still arguing it out with Direct Line, this company are totally inept, morally bankrupt and couldn't give a toss that I am the victim here.

There Customer Service dept are now offering £200 compensation for poor service!

I just want my claim paid out!

Yep that's why we are insured with NFU, they don't muck you about if you need to claim. Sorry to hear your having no joy with DL, seems it's changed a lot fro, when I worked there before the RBS takeover then the privatisation.