Milling an Elm

Scottie

Just putting it out there. I was asked by a nieghbour of mine who has come across a standing dead Elm in the local woodland. He would like to take it down and get it milled. I haven't seen the tree myself so I can't really give you too many details about it. I understand we would need to ask the permission of the owner of the standing wood to remove the dead elm.

So is there anybody in Yorkshire willing to help us out to do the milling? I know it sounds easier said than done, but I can't really tell you much more about it, access, how tall it is or how much you can get out of it. My nieghbour reckons it stands about 30ft and he was looking to cut it up into 6-8ft lenghts. He is a French polisher to trade so he does now something about wood.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Scottie,

Do you know the diameter, even roughly? This would help with working out what sort of mill is needed. Also, can it be extracted in lengths, or does it need to be milled where it falls?

Alec

p.s. I did your cherry today

Ginger, the tree is in woodland between the A64 and Thorner. I got a dbh tape from my consultant so I am hoping to get out this weekend to have a look and get it measured. I will take photos and have a look at access, then I need to find out who it belongs to.