Mystery Yew fungus

Len Brennan

It's on a live, if slightly sickly looking, yew and quite dense and spongy, not at all fragile or puffy.

Then given that, it being dense and spongey we can rule out the myxomycetes potential, im going to stick to my feeling on this, and if it wasnt mid winter I would drive up just to have a closer look.

Cumbria is a bit too far to pop round even for me!

Would you consider sending a sample off? I would be fascinated to find out what a professional mycologist would make of it. Its so unusual and being on yew more so. my gut tells me if this is one of the higher fungi a true basidiomycetes that this is anamorphic in form. after all there is no defined pore structure, hasnt any specific profile that could be described as anything bot "nodulose" or crustose.

Its just this kind of oddball fungal random post that keeps me hooked on these pages, you just never know whats going to pop up.:001_cool:

For me this is a cool fungus, mostly because its on Yew, and because \i have no friggin clues as to its potential identity, guessing is all I can do:blushing:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about throwing into the mix that it may not be of fungal origin at all?

Or could it be a malformed, parasitised P schweinitzii? Possibly Hypomyces aurantius: known to parasitise Ps...

Or Laetiporous; frost damaged/parasitised/anamorphic/combination of. Probably not, just putting it out there for thoughts...

Where's Gerritt when you need him!?

What about throwing into the mix that it may not be of fungal origin at all?

Or could it be a malformed, parasitised P schweinitzii? Possibly Hypomyces aurantius: known to parasitise Ps...

Or Laetiporous; frost damaged/parasitised/anamorphic/combination of. Probably not, just putting it out there for thoughts...

Where's Gerritt when you need him!?

You are wasted on arboriculture my friend.

Your talents are far better siuted to politics and spin, imagine if you had been discovered by Tony Blair instead of Tony Croft, you would have been a multi millonare.

And job satisfaction to boot!

You are wasted on arboriculture my friend.

Your talents are far better siuted to politics and spin, imagine if you had been discovered by Tony Blair instead of Tony Croft, you would have been a multi millonare.

And job satisfaction to boot!

Ah but I love trees and steer clear of politics, I don't even vote!

I don't know what spin you're on about :confused: I don't know what you're getting at, but feel I should be at least mildly insulted.

I don't wish to have a petty feud with someone online I've never met. If you have an issue with me spit it out in plain English and then lets move on.

Ah but I love trees and steer clear of politics, I don't even vote!

I don't know what spin you're on about :confused: I don't know what you're getting at, but feel I should be at least mildly insulted.

I don't wish to have a petty feud with someone online I've never met. If you have an issue with me spit it out in plain English and then lets move on.

Why would I have an issue with you? Strange thoughts