First post, hello and all that.

mr_magicfingers

My partner and I are in the process of buying a farm in Devon which has 6.5 acres of broadleaf woodland that we plan to manage as part of our proposed campsite. There are two woodburning stoves in the house and we plan to harvest wood for use in those, as the current owners do. I'm going to need a chainsaw obviously for log cutting and for management/maintenance of the woodland.

We discovered this weekend that the land also includes a stand of larch trees(I think, but need to double check) mature (15-20 year old we believe) about 90 of them that we'll want to fell to clear that section of land. I'm not going attempt that myself, I plan to get the professionals in but would hope to help with things like snedding and logging of the trees once down, there'll be plenty of that work to occupy everyone I would think.

The plan is to use them, if suitable, to build the decks for our bell tents and yurts, and also possibly to keep some as large timbers to frame the planned office/reception/shop to go on the site in a year or two and mill some of the trees to use as wany edged larch to clad the building. If we can do that it would have incredibly low inherent energy. Fell/mill/frame all on site. If they're not suitable for the framing then I'll have plenty of cladding boards and a lifetime's worth of firewood.

I'm planning on getting trained on this as I have never used a chainsaw before but recognise that you can probably get into more trouble faster with one than with anything other than tequila and handguns. My plan is to do the two ncp courses on basic chainsaw maintenance and crosscutting then the felling trees up to 15" course. Cost will be about £5-600 as I don't need the certification as I won't be doing this professionally unless there are better ideas anyone can offer. Although expensive I see this as cheap insurance as I'm likely to be using a chainsaw moderately regularly for the next 20 years or so.

I'd like to get some training before we move down to Devon in May and I currently live in West London (Chorleywood). Could anyone suggest courses in the local area that run at weekends rather than during the week.

Also, is it usually possible to take the courses and pay just for the training rather than training and certification?

Many thanks,

J.

Edited by mr_magicfingers

We're at Yarnscombe, about 4 miles from Great Torrington, north Devon coast :)

Nice part of the county,I'm sure you'll find all the info you require here. There's several guys on the forum from the area if you ever need assistance. All the best with your move.

As for the chainsaw course... give Capel Manor a bell (08456 122 122). Although they're up at Enfield they do run a couple of out centres which might be closer to you. With certification. However, a quick word of warning, I had an enquiry recently from a chap who'd done the traiing course some years ago, and got his certificate of attendance as that was all he needed at the time, but now his circumstances had changed and he wanted to know whether there was any value in it for use in the profesional workplace.

Just a thought.

As for the chainsaw course... give Capel Manor a bell (08456 122 122). Although they're up at Enfield they do run a couple of out centres which might be closer to you. With certification. However, a quick word of warning, I had an enquiry recently from a chap who'd done the traiing course some years ago, and got his certificate of attendance as that was all he needed at the time, but now his circumstances had changed and he wanted to know whether there was any value in it for use in the profesional workplace.

Just a thought.

Thanks Stuart, I'll give all that some thought. cheers.