Where to buy semi mature trees?

Parker

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy semi mature trees from?

Any one got any good tips on planting semi mature trees?

Customer wants to add compost to improve the soil, I've never done this before so suggestions / comments welcome. What ratio should it be added?

Thanks

Laurence

I use a spade, you will be all day with your hands.

On a more serious note it would depend how many and how long you have to plant them. If it's just a handful then I would go for the spade but if you have over a dozen I would probably loose the will to live.

Diggers can compact the soil quite badly in some situations.

I like to mix the soil which has been dug out with about a third tree and shrub mix compost ( I use sinclairs).

It will depend on species and soil type. Careful attention to staking and watering will ensure a good success rate. Rootgrow Mycorrhizal Fungi may help again depending on species and time of year.

I like to select the trees myself at the nursery rather than ordering to spec.

treecompost.jpg.30bd08be19e6f650ebdb24044e42ccab.jpg

My experience of planting heavy standards for the first time involved me kicking myself that I didn't dig test pits first. I found the water table to be inches below the surface in quite a few locations across the site. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance!!

I used Griffin Nursery in Liphook for mine. I had good service from them and prices seemed good.

I use Barchams and Deepdale, Deepdale for the better selection of larger semi matures, and excellent quality and service from both companies. Large shrubs, ie Rhodes, laurels I can't fault Palmstead Nurseries for quality and service.

I tend to hand dig whenever I can, of course some trees are just too big and awkward to handle without mechanical assistance.