Rec climb opportunities with equipment lending for beginners....

WorcsWuss

This may or may not be a good idea.....

Thinking about the opportunity Mike (chipper080) had from Sam and the support network on here with the 'pass it on' nature of the community, it occurred to me that there are lots of folks out there who are just starting out or want to practice climbing but don't have / can't justify the expense of the gear just yet.

I have amassed a fair bit of gear, much of it pretty new, which doesn't really get that much use, and also some nice trees to climb.

So with this in mind, if there's anyone around the West Mids who would like to come out and borrow a bit of stuff for a climb please feel free to get in touch with me.

A few provisos....

1. You do so entirely at your own risk. It is entirely recreational and there would be no form of liability insurance covering you.

2. As a non commercial user my gear does not get formally inspected under LOLER (although I do keep a close eye on it myself and wouldn't use anything dangerous anyway) so it is up to you to satisfy yourself that you're happy to climb on it.

3. I will happily come along with you to keep you company and offer friendly advice but don't profess to be an expert nor would I be instructing you.

4. Any dates would need to be arranged to suit my available times. (And I'm married with 3 kids so my time is precious and very limited! That said, my little boy is starting out so it can be rolled together)

5. If at any point during a climb I decide it's dangerous I can call it off and my word is final.

6. You would need to supply your own harness.

7. And finally, in return, all you have to do is help someone out when it comes to your turn....

I have conventional ddrt gear and now a rope wrench for SRT so there's a bit of stuff to try.

Novices are more than welcome. I 'learned by doing' all those years ago so even if you have no experience at all you can still come for a play, even if it's just tying knots and to have a look at some of the different gear available.... or to see whether the job is for you (i could probably lend you my harness for a 'first ever' climb) I'm quite happy to spend a morning keeping someone company 5 feet off the ground.

So, a chance for a few lads (or lasses!) to borrow some gear and swing from the trees.

Nothing more, nothing less....

Just a thought anyway...:001_smile:

Edited by WorcsWuss

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me and my cousin who is also a tree surgeon shall be going for a rec climb on the 9th of Feb weather permitted, we shall be doing this in the west midlands area and would love for you to come along. we both have are own kit ropes helmet and such and are currently looking for a area to climb some big trees and have a fun day out. pm if interested in coming along.

Hi Keiran. That's a kind offer, thanks, and I'd dearly love to come along but with my other commitments I'm probably going to struggle. If you're ever looking for somewhere to the south west of Birmingham to have a climb though just give me a shout!

Hi Keiran. That's a kind offer, thanks, and I'd dearly love to come along but with my other commitments I'm probably going to struggle. If you're ever looking for somewhere to the south west of Birmingham to have a climb though just give me a shout!

thats cool we are currently looking for a location to climb so we might make it more down your area. is there some good trees down there? :)

We have a few nice estate type oaks running down a couple of fields. There aren't any veterans nor real giants, bar a few large ash, but there's a reasonable variety. It is generally nice open oak and ash, certainly good for beginners or trying out new stuff.

I'll take some photos of what we have when I'm shooting on Saturday....:thumbup1:

Edited by WorcsWuss

Hi guys,

I'm a novice tree surgeon from Rugby with a little over a years part time climbing under my belt. I tend to use only ddrt with a klemheist, but have played about with vt set ups etc.

I'd enjoy an opportunity to broaden my horizons in terms or technique gear etc so I'd be well up for a rec climb.

In terms of gear i've got the basics, 25m rope, harness strop etc.

If anythings going on i'd certainly be interested.

This may or may not be a good idea.....

Thinking about the opportunity Mike (chipper080) had from Sam and the support network on here with the 'pass it on' nature of the community, it occurred to me that there are lots of folks out there who are just starting out or want to practice climbing but don't have / can't justify the expense of the gear just yet.

I have amassed a fair bit of gear, much of it pretty new, which doesn't really get that much use, and also some nice trees to climb.

So with this in mind, if there's anyone around the West Mids who would like to come out and borrow a bit of stuff for a climb please feel free to get in touch with me.

A few provisos....

1. You do so entirely at your own risk. It is entirely recreational and there would be no form of liability insurance covering you.

2. As a non commercial user my gear does not get formally inspected under LOLER (although I do keep a close eye on it myself and wouldn't use anything dangerous anyway) so it is up to you to satisfy yourself that you're happy to climb on it.

3. I will happily come along with you to keep you company and offer friendly advice but don't profess to be an expert nor would I be instructing you.

4. Any dates would need to be arranged to suit my available times. (And I'm married with 3 kids so my time is precious and very limited! That said, my little boy is starting out so it can be rolled together)

5. If at any point during a climb I decide it's dangerous I can call it off and my word is final.

6. You would need to supply your own harness.

7. And finally, in return, all you have to do is help someone out when it comes to your turn....

I have conventional ddrt gear and now a rope wrench for SRT so there's a bit of stuff to try.

Novices are more than welcome. I 'learned by doing' all those years ago so even if you have no experience at all you can still come for a play, even if it's just tying knots and to have a look at some of the different gear available.... or to see whether the job is for you (i could probably lend you my harness for a 'first ever' climb) I'm quite happy to spend a morning keeping someone company 5 feet off the ground.

So, a chance for a few lads (or lasses!) to borrow some gear and swing from the trees.

Nothing more, nothing less....

Just a thought anyway...:001_smile:

Can't help thinking its a shame we have to put these disclaimers... It's not your fault, just a product of the times we live in.

Hi guys,

I'm a novice tree surgeon from Rugby with a little over a years part time climbing under my belt. I tend to use only ddrt with a klemheist, but have played about with vt set ups etc.

I'd enjoy an opportunity to broaden my horizons in terms or technique gear etc so I'd be well up for a rec climb.

In terms of gear i've got the basics, 25m rope, harness strop etc.

If anythings going on i'd certainly be interested.

Offer's open if you're ever over this way :thumbup1:

Can't help thinking its a shame we have to put these disclaimers... It's not your fault, just a product of the times we live in.

It would be a shame if I ended up sent down for torching the offices of a no win no fee solicitors. While everyone was still in there.... :001_huh::lol: