Commercial Tree/hedge planting.

Hill-Billy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys. Who knows what the going rate is for rapidly planting 500 metres of 2 ft whip beech/white thorn hedge for the holiday season? I've only done tree surgery before. I'm tempted, but the going rate can't be too high can it...!?:001_smile:

Hedge planting, 6 trees @ 60 - 90cm to the metre canes and guards, 4 inch mulch, 1 years Maintenance, on a clear site £11.50 per meter.

Depending on location.

if you are supplying plants guards and canes £2.50 for 5 plants 90cm 5 plants to the mtr staggard diagalony canes 20p each guards £1 each. then planting them.

i charge about same as laying a hedge £10 per mtr including plants. ideal is laying teram down first to kill weeds then cutting a cross and planting or the amount you want to do single furrow plough go along line plant up and back fill. just got to keep on weeds or will take over in first year or so i have not included looking after them once planted need to alow if cliant wants it to go back in summer cutting back vegetation so £11.50 a mtr including looking after not far out. plus getting plants the mount you want can get them delivered free try Murray Mc Clean Abingdon oxfordshire does very good hedging plants never had any die from murrry where abouts in country are you. more than happy to help out if not that far. just to get you going.

Edited by hedgesparrow

Thanks hedgesparrow. If you were in the Westcountry I'd invite you over to help for sure. The Whips are being supplied. No tree guards or mulch I gather. Just a race to get them in the ground in time for the holiday season. I think he'll be using that teram mesh? Aftercare will be minimal.

Hi Gollum. That sounds like a fully professional job you're describing. Tree guards and mulch etc. Is that commercial planting?:confused1: Thanks for the input. Can anyone better that? All help for a newbie is much appreciated....:001_smile:

Yes that's commercial planting.

DSCF0001_zps049adc3d.jpg

Planted 1800 meters this winter.

Put the mulch on yesterday and to day with a taarup diet feeder similar to this one

taarup-514-diet-feed21009901_1_zps501d08cd.jpg

Thanks hedgesparrow. If you were in the Westcountry I'd invite you over to help for sure. The Whips are being supplied. No tree guards or mulch I gather. Just a race to get them in the ground in time for the holiday season. I think he'll be using that teram mesh? Aftercare will be minimal.

if its just labour i use a necastle drainage spade to dig a hole drop in move on to next. can do a lot of mtrs in a day planting. depends how much you want to earn a day. work out how much. say plant 30 mtrs a day maybe more devide by say 30 you get your price per mtr for labour

if you are supplying plants guards and canes £2.50 for 5 plants 90cm 5 plants to the mtr staggard diagalony canes 20p each guards £1 each. then planting them.

i charge about same as laying a hedge £10 per mtr including plants. ideal is laying teram down first to kill weeds then cutting a cross and planting or the amount you want to do single furrow plough go along line plant up and back fill. just got to keep on weeds or will take over in first year or so i have not included looking after them once planted need to alow if cliant wants it to go back in summer cutting back vegetation so £11.50 a mtr including looking after not far out. plus getting plants the mount you want can get them delivered free try Murray Mc Clean Abingdon oxfordshire does very good hedging plants never had any die from murrry where abouts in country are you. more than happy to help out if not that far. just to get you going.

I think I have a good book somewhere on hedges by this chap. Recommended read.

gollum's pricing is pretty good. If you can, go for 40-60cm trees. Cheaper and a lot easier to put spirals on than 60-90cm (usually). I'd avoid mulch and spray with Kerb-flo after planting, if possible. (naturally, you might have to follow the spec).

Also, learn how to really put spirals on. There is a very easy way that works on trees that have a bit of clear stem. I'm not sure if anyone else uses it, but if you hold the top of the spiral with finger and thumb, you can run your other finger and thumb along the length of the spiral to oppen it up, the bottom of the spiral goes around the base of the tree, and the spiral folds naturally around the tree. My descripton of this is the best I can think of, but it's a lot quicker than wrapping the spiral around the tree, if it wont just slip over. Takes a bit of practice though.