can you do it without a chainsaw

Paul in France

I feel much encouraged :001_smile: by your comments guys.

We have 3 Ha of woodland but a lot of it is on slopes that make extraction nigh on impossible.

The previous owner has driven in wide pathways - wide enough for a tractor which helps a great deal.

I'm 59 pretty fit and getting fitter by the day. I'm early-retired so I'm priviledged that I don't have to do a "proper" job anymore The weather here generally does make the work more enjoyable, although the last week or so has been a bit rubbish and very wet. Of course sooner or later my body will give up on me but until then as has been said I'm in a green gym.

Apart from providing us with 'free' firewood I'm checking out the woodland management aspects of the Forum so I improve the woods as I go.

When you say "nigh on impossible", I am assuming you are talking about uphill extraction. Two things, can you make a path out along the bottom of the slope, if so, extract downhill, then out, also, a simple pulley block, and rope will halve the effort needed to pull anything. Anyway, good on you!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our previous house we supplemented the heating with an open fire that mostly burned wood. It kept about half a two-bedroomed house warm.

I reckon I burned about a dozen 4-6" logs a night. This would take me about half an hour to saw, so I'd go out most fine evenings and do an hour or so - then I didn't have to when it was raining or I didn't fancy it. I used a bow saw for this as I was sawing seasoned timber and it didn't upset the neighbours.

Once, the furniture restorer opposite was clearing out his workshop before retiring and throwing the contents in a skip. He'd said I could help myself to (got some really nice tools) so for a few days I was heating the house by burning books and fine furniture, which was reminiscent of the French revolution.

Alec

I do a fair bit of small scale firewood with my dad for which he has just got a Stihl cordless chainsaw (msa 160). He's very pleased with it for being light, quiet and mobile, it seems fine going through 50-75mm although Stihl say up to 200mm which hammers the battery.

Hi Paul,

The Stihl MS181 is a cracking tool, I also use a MS171 for small work and hedge laying. Both are perfect for small and medium work - just service them regularly and keep em sharp and they'll look after you for years.

I quite enjoy hand sawing etc too cos it's healthy, quiet and very cost effective if you're not dealing with large volumes. Silkys and anything Scandinavian are excellent saws - Bahco etc.

All the best and enjoy the sunshine, got 6 inches plus of snow here (Gloucestershire) :thumbup:

I have 3 chainsaws ..of which one is a little stihl 180 14inch bar lightweight easy to carry and work with spot on.

Easy to maintain yourself cost vey little second hand (in GB anyway).

:thumbup:

My groundy has a ms171, its not too bad at all. As you probably know, everything holds its value here in France, and second hand saws are no exception.

I'd meant to ask you if you've figured out why chainsaws are so expensive in France (along with a lot of other things). If I can get a new Stihl sent from the UK for about £250 why is it's equivalent here cost twice that or more?

Seems to me the dealers here must have a huge mark-up

Most things hold their value here, its not the throw away mentality that we are used to in the uk, "my sofa is a year old, i will just put it on free cycle and get another on tick", people hold on to and value things more here.

The dealers don't get that big a mark up, but the prices are controlled by Stihl France. So that every dealer has a fair chance the price is the same to a big dealer, or the little agri merchant in the village. So, like in the uk, where little merchants cant keep up with the buying power of the bigger shops, like FR Jones, the field is more evenly fixed here.

I once asked my local dealer why a 16" bar was 75 euros, when i could buy the same bar for £30 in the UK, he was shocked at the price i had shown him in the Stihl uk catalouge, he phoned his Rep, and was given an ear bashing to pass on to me for daring to ask. I am sorry to say that I dont buy local and get kit from the fantastic dealers advertising on this site.

The dealers don't get that big a mark up, but the prices are controlled by Stihl France. So that every dealer has a fair chance the price is the same to a big dealer, or the little agri merchant in the village. So, like in the uk, where little merchants cant keep up with the buying power of the bigger shops, like FR Jones, the field is more evenly fixed here.

I once asked my local dealer why a 16" bar was 75 euros, when i could buy the same bar for £30 in the UK, he was shocked at the price i had shown him in the Stihl uk catalouge, he phoned his Rep, and was given an ear bashing to pass on to me for daring to ask. I am sorry to say that I dont buy local and get kit from the fantastic dealers advertising on this site.

Cheers - understand now - reckon that Stihl France are the biggest winners though

Yes I'm considering doing the same with Fr Jones and have my order written up - only trouble is finding the £800 I need for the saw, a brush-cutter and the safety gear - probably be nearer 1500 euros here though

Sadly yes, 1500 notes would not be too difficult to spend on a few bits and bobs. You would also find it difficult to find decent safety gear off the peg, as its not used as much here. If you need any advice please ask, there is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to Arbtalk!

Much appreciated mate - I reckon I'll have plenty of questions and have never minded if other folks think it's stupid - you can always learn from the experience of others and it can save a lot of grief, expense and pain. When you're in a new country on top of making a new type of life, a site like this is a Godsend.