light reductions

David Humphries

"I spec'd the work on the oak for the safety of the pedestrians and vehicle movement below but equally (which is perhaps debatable) for the trees benefit.

No debate here. Trees failing uncontrolled near people cannot be taken as a good thing. Also, the value of trees near people to people adds to the potential consequence of failure.

"The reduction reduces the leverage which reduces the chance of it failing.

It really is that simple.

Re a little knowledge, when new trends come out it is easy to overreact. I wonder if the pendulum will swing back, from the value of saproxylics to the value of tree contributions.

On another note, in the op of this thread, the Merip conks seem associated with stem/root-girding roots. i've seen this often enough to suspect it's not coincidence. :sneaky2:

we all find it easy to see apattern when we are overly focused on a particular issue, you are a girdling route freak like im a fungi freak!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I spec'd the work on the oak for the safety of the pedestrians and vehicle movement below but equally (which is perhaps debatable) for the trees benefit.

No debate here. Trees failing uncontrolled near people cannot be taken as a good thing. Also, the value of trees near people to people adds to the potential consequence of failure.

"The reduction reduces the leverage which reduces the chance of it failing.

It really is that simple.

Re a little knowledge, when new trends come out it is easy to overreact. I wonder if the pendulum will swing back, from the value of saproxylics to the value of tree contributions.

On another note, in the op of this thread, the Merip conks seem associated with stem/root-girding roots. i've seen this often enough to suspect it's not coincidence. :sneaky2:

Trees fail. No argument that when this occurs near people it's not a good thing. But I'm personally questioning some of my own ideas about necessity. Wondering what the likelihood of a target being present at the moment of failure. And if, as a consequence of failure, the tree declines and dies, is that such a bad thing. Natures natural cycle.

"Wondering what the likelihood of a target being present at the moment of failure.

I agree this one is way overblown--how many people are out and about in storms? but in any case often enough to hit the news now and then. Clear-day failures are common enough to plan against.

"And if, as a consequence of failure, the tree declines and dies, is that such a bad thing. Natures natural cycle."

Perhaps so, but if we are artificially accelerating that cycle by clearing and creating "edge" trees (not the guitar player), then ought we not mitigate that unnatural (and it's another argument whether humans are natural) acceleration by pruning back limbs that are sprawling into the openings that we made?

The works are for the trees' sake first (in order not priority), and for the sake of their contributions to us and the earth The infinitesimal increase in public safety is important if only as a symbol.

Saproxylics are not so uncommon that too many properly retrenchable trees must be ruined as trees. Let's strap more rotting trunks to sound trunks, and let em munch away!

And tone you are absolutely right about obsessions and biases--but you do see the girdlers are only present where the fb's are, right? :001_tongue:

Trees fail. No argument that when this occurs near people it's not a good thing. But I'm personally questioning some of my own ideas about necessity. Wondering what the likelihood of a target being present at the moment of failure. And if, as a consequence of failure, the tree declines and dies, is that such a bad thing. Natures natural cycle.

if the subject of QTRA is making more people consider this Im well on board!

afterabout ten years of tracking fungi down I begun to realise that the risks from so called "compromised trees" was no different to any other, i see so many trees with fungi i dont even flinch 90% of the time now.

Heres one I gave a little tickle a few years back. Must get back sometime and get a photo of it now.

Is it a 'local' tree. (as the fencing appears to suggest ) ?

Can one gain public access, or is it deep within the property ?

Would be interested in seeing images of the both the canopy and that basal area.