Cabstar losing rear wheels... well nearly

likeitorlumpit

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My garage warned me grease or oil your wheel nuts on your car if you must but dont do it on a truck whatever you do the nuts will undo.

This is not correct. The two piece nut/washer on a truck requires lubrication even more. As I have said, a clean, well lubricated stud/nut will have better tightening characteristics, you will achieve the correct torque with less effort and therefore less stress on the thread.

If the thread is clean and lubricated then the torque will be applied to the nut face where it is supposed to be as opposed to the thread which would show a false reading and cause damage.

I believe 'correct lubrication of threads and interfaces' referring to wheel nuts is even covered by VOSA in one of their many documents.

This is not correct. The two piece nut/washer on a truck requires lubrication even more. As I have said, a clean, well lubricated stud/nut will have better tightening characteristics, you will achieve the correct torque with less effort and therefore less stress on the thread.

If the thread is clean and lubricated then the torque will be applied to the nut face where it is supposed to be as opposed to the thread which would show a false reading and cause damage.

I believe 'correct lubrication of threads and interfaces' referring to wheel nuts is even covered by VOSA in one of their many documents.

I'll second that. Also keeping the threads clean and lightly lubed will reduce damage to the thread and prolong its life.

On a normal wheelnut (ie not a self locking type) it should be possible to tighten it up snugly agains the wheel with your fingers. Torquing it down to the correct figure will then secure it. Wheel nuts should however be checked and retorqued regularly.

Remember that what actually holds the nut on is (in very simple terms) the elastic stretching of the stud pulling the nut against the wheel. If overtightened, the stud will be stretched to its yield point and permanently damaged. if undertightened the nuts will work loose. If the thread is stiff, a false torque reading will result due to the extra force needed to turn the nut on the thread, and the nut will not be exerting the correct force on the wheel.

I'll second that. Also keeping the threads clean and lightly lubed will reduce damage to the thread and prolong its life.

On a normal wheelnut (ie not a self locking type) it should be possible to tighten it up snugly agains the wheel with your fingers. Torquing it down to the correct figure will then secure it. Wheel nuts should however be checked and retorqued regularly.

Remember that what actually holds the nut on is (in very simple terms) the elastic stretching of the stud pulling the nut against the wheel. If overtightened, the stud will be stretched to its yield point and permanently damaged. if undertightened the nuts will work loose. If the thread is stiff, a false torque reading will result due to the extra force needed to turn the nut on the thread, and the nut will not be exerting the correct force on the wheel.

#

That sounds like great mechanics advice and I get the science behind it.

We're back on the road and weirdly while we were at the garage a guy phoned to ask for a new cabstar wheel and studs. Sounds like we're not alone:listen:

I am sure your right all my stuff is greased and I have never had wheels come loose. I dont run trucks so not a problem to me.