Help stihl 026 that wont run right

Ben farrimond

Hi rebuilt my aging 026 over christmas its had every thing bearings seals barrel and piston carb kit the works it now fires up runs about 30 seconds then cuts out but will run alot longer on its side any help folks would be greatley welcomed ps its now at my local shop and he carnt figure it out its got till friday and its going!!!:confused1::confused1:

Hmmm without a few diagnosis being made not much help from me.

Could be a fuel issue. Could be a tank issue. To be honest there are a few things to look at. Spud or gardenkit will be along I'm sure.

Do you know what has been tested or tried on the saw? Just to eliminate a few obvious things?

Hmmm without a few diagnosis being made not much help from me.

Could be a fuel issue. Could be a tank issue. To be honest there are a few things to look at. Spud or gardenkit will be along I'm sure.

Do you know what has been tested or tried on the saw? Just to eliminate a few obvious things?

hi ye ive vac tested it and its spot on and it running 145psi on compressoin even tryed an carb of another saw and it still dose the same and the other saw runs spot on with my carb

thanks for the post!!:001_smile:

I think I would be initially looking at the pumping side of the carb.

This would include the pump diaphragms, gauze filter, fuel pickup hose and also the impulse tube.

OK, they may have been done, but have they been done properly? Worth another look.

But the local shop should not really be too baffled, its not rocket science.

edit, sorry, bit of an overlap here, so carb may be OK, check the hoses.

hi ye ive vac tested it and its spot on and it running 145psi on compressoin even tryed an carb of another saw and it still dose the same and the other saw runs spot on with my carb

thanks for the post!!:001_smile:

Have you pressure tested the saw?

With the carb and compression out of it I'm wondering if a seal has been ill fitted. A pressure test will solve this one.

Have you tried the tank vent - try running the saw and before it stops, loosen the fuel cap and see if it works fine.

Other things to check - impulse line may have a small crack in it, as Barrie said - fuel line/filter condition - you can get leaks around the impulse line where the carb pushes in on some aftermarket impulse lines!

Have you tried the tank vent - try running the saw and before it stops, loosen the fuel cap and see if it works fine.

Other things to check - impulse line may have a small crack in it, as Barrie said - fuel line/filter condition - you can get leaks around the impulse line where the carb pushes in on some aftermarket impulse lines!

Hi Spud did try taking the vent off and it didnt make any differance its defently somthing ive done or not as the case may be as it would run before but was becoming a pig to start and it was well down on power now starts first pull but wont run :confused1: will double check what u have said and thanks for the post:thumbup: