when best to cut logs

Paul in France

OK all prepared and drying in our living room.

The flat pieces are sycamore at 40% and the rounds are ash at 30%

Test one to see effect of bark on drying.

Weights today

1 ash log with bark 326 grams

2 round log with bark removed 310 grams

3 round turned from piece to side of centre so not following line of growth rings 326 grams

Test two to see if wood drys faster through end grain.

Weights today.

4 end grain on largest face 219 grams

5 long grain like a normal plank 224 grams

DSC00380.jpg.75d72a5b17ed5ea2a165bc6ec0d8ca2b.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:confused1:

I've just started felling a few easy smallish trees on my place here in France. The last owner left a lot of firewood that is in various stages of seasoning and I hope that will keep us going for 1-2 years.

I have been stacking the felled trees to season before cutting into logs on the assumption they will be easier to cut then.

But I thought I'd ask for opinions from the experts on here as I'm new to this.

All advice will be much appreciated.

Hey Paul it's terry how's it going

I have been running the test for a week now and it is already worth posting up some initial results. I have weighed the samples every day between 10:00 and 12:00 noon and my wife has very kindly made a graph of the drying rates by percentage of weight. Don't forget that it is not fair to compare samples 1, 2 and 3 with 4 and 5 as 4 and 5 have a far greater surface area to volume ratio. Each colour represents each day.

Cumulative loss graph.doc

Hey Paul it's terry how's it going

Had some really wet weather for the last couple of weeks that has limited my production but encouraged by the reaction of fellow forum members to my hand sawing attempt at providing my own firewood- I thought that if you couldn't juggle 3 chainsaws at a time you might be thought a wuzz :001_smile:

How's it going with you...

Paul in France - where abouts in the GERS are you? My parents have lived down there for 20 odd years, I love it out there, so peaceful and the Basque people are friendly bunch.

What sort of fire you got? Open, burner, etc? Is it ocassional orare you relying upon to provide most of your heat during the winter months?

Woodworks - good on you for giving it a go, I think we all know what the results will be, but will be interesting to note the % loss.

Paul in France - where abouts in the GERS are you? My parents have lived down there for 20 odd years, I love it out there, so peaceful and the Basque people are friendly bunch.

What sort of fire you got? Open, burner, etc? Is it ocassional orare you relying upon to provide most of your heat during the winter months?

Woodworks - good on you for giving it a go, I think we all know what the results will be, but will be interesting to note the % loss.

We live in a village called Lagarde Hachan - very small - closest towns are Masseube and Mirande. We are about 40 minutes from Auch.

Yes, it's very very peaceful. Suits us down to the ground but would drive some of my mates back in the UK nuts - no pub!!!

People are superb - so friendly and they put up with my rubbish French and help out with it. Never had a bad time with anyone yet - we arrived first in Feb last year and moved into the house on December 1.

We have an Efel woodburner on one side of the house and an 'insert' on the other so, as the floorboards in the bedrooms are the ceilings of the rooms below, so far they have kept us warm. Need them on every night during the winter - and to remember to keep the shutters closed when the sun goes down.

Where abouts are your folks?