Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Any link to that as he is convinced that by removing the fruiting bodies he Will remove the problem and preserve the tree as that's what the bloke who cuts the grass told him???? Even tried showing him the bit on the fungus app about it but no just cut off the yellow bits and all will be ok

Any link to that as he is convinced that by removing the fruiting bodies he Will remove the problem and preserve the tree as that's what the bloke who cuts the grass told him???? Even tried showing him the bit on the fungus app about it but no just cut off the yellow bits and all will be ok

Sorry I haven't, but I think Hama will. It's to do with ratio of the amount of wood the fungus has to consume to produce the fruiting body. So a bracket with a volume of say 10 cubic centimeters uses 100 cubic cm of wood to do so.

I can't remember the thread, but I'm sure Tony or David will be along soon:thumbup1:

I wonder if the bloke who cuts the grass also advises your client on his legal and financial affairs too:lol:

Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that by removing the FFB you will stimulate the development of more FFBs that will have to consume more wood to develop? Some plants can be made flower again by removing flower deadheads before seed is set, there may be some hormonal signalling that allows the plant to know that it has not yet reporduced this year and that another flower is needed. But can the same be said of fungi?

Excuse my ignorance, but are you saying that by removing the FFB you will stimulate the development of more FFBs that will have to consume more wood to develop? Some plants can be made flower again by removing flower deadheads before seed is set, there may be some hormonal signalling that allows the plant to know that it has not yet reporduced this year and that another flower is needed. But can the same be said of fungi?

At the risk of appearing more stupid than normal:lol:, yes I believe so. I'm sure I've read that on here.

It would make sense. If I understand this correctly, fruit bodies appear when the fungus breaks through into the open air, it believes it running out of nourishment and expands energy to produce the fruiting bracket. If you remove the bracket, its still believing its going to starve and panics into reproduction mode again - growing a new bracket and decaying wood like a starving man. So by removing brackets you're actually increasing the rate of decay.

I think the thread, or the actual post was by Gerrit Keizer (Fungus). Apologies for the simplification, my heads up my :confused1: today

Nice big willow and no matter what we said to the owner he wanted the "mushrooms" removing so to stop them damaging his tree. :banghead:

Correct me if wrong, chicken of the woods?

At the risk of appearing more stupid than normal:lol:, yes I believe so. I'm sure I've read that on here.

It would make sense. If I understand this correctly, fruit bodies appear when the fungus breaks through into the open air, it believes it running out of nourishment and expands energy to produce the fruiting bracket. If you remove the bracket, its still believing its going to starve and panics into reproduction mode again - growing a new bracket and decaying wood like a starving man. So by removing brackets you're actually increasing the rate of decay.

I think the thread, or the actual post was by Gerrit Keizer (Fungus). Apologies for the simplification, my heads up my :confused1: today

It is Laetiporus of course, nice example too.

It is difficult to be 100% accurate on the subject of wether or not removal of fruiting body would enable more or encourage more degradation, the fungi would have to have invasive potential, and Laetiporus does not, it is a mere saprophyte of heart wood. meaning that it only has accsess to what parts are no longer fully functioning or fully hydrated, hydration being the limiting factor in fungal growth. So in THIS case, for laetiporus removal of the fruit body wouldn't achieve anything or cause any greater degradation, it can and will only fruit with the energy of the resources it already has available to it, which in this case is most of the woody cylinder, willow not having any heartwood as such nore defining boundary of phenolic substances.

Like on Beech, its a difficult management proposition at this late stage, with a willow somewhat easier as as long as it is not a drought season and well hydrated heavy reductions are very much viable.

as will be the case with this one or let nature do its thing and self pollarding will be the order of the day here.

i actually manage a very similar willow in a HIGH target zone, it hasnt bit me in the rear as yet some 6 years and two cycles into it and still some several ton above the decayed region which is at or around 80% decayed, heavily pollarded that is well within T/r limits. But I have to say of all the decayed trees I manage this one is the most difficult and concerning. more so even than a beech with meripilus IMO

So am I barking entirely up the wrong tree here Tony. I hate my memory, regurgitating bits of information of things I've read sometimes years before. I seem to think that Gerrit said something along the lines of " if you understand the quantity of wood degraded to produce the FB, you'd leave it be"

I may be extrapolating and getting confused. But if I'm so far out that, I've fallen out the tree, I could do with knowing.

I think youll be re identifying that as perenni later, or rigi:biggrin:

I don't believe so tony, not unless this local authority are in the habit of going around stripping these off each year.

They appear to be annual fruit bodies not perennials

I'll see if I can find a mature shot from the last couple of years