Tis the season to see Fungi, fa la la la la....

David Humphries

Combined ID+ management Assistance with significance of this one would be great. I think it may be Innonotus dryadeus on a Beech tree. The tree was showing signs of dieback. Another tree surgeon performed 2m reduction and 10% thin two years ago. Reasonably vigorous response to the prunning considering it was a wee bit hard. However there is a section of necrotic bark surrounding a branch pruning wound with allot of fibre buckling on the opposite side.

The customer has concerns as the previous tree surgeon did a good job of relaying that it was disease but didn't got too much into a long term plan. I. E retention/future work or any would even be required.

The tree is in a very exposed part of town by the coast.

I'm thinking I will thin it out again and try to correct any strange re-growth from the previous reduction.

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Arbtalk mobile app

1405689060275.jpg.fea7e2e52b1fc47d5ffc41c35fc413f4.jpg

1405689021888.jpg.66116c9b682f067ae474e1a03c337142.jpg

1405689002802.jpg.bac0a4746ec32cbd0c7030aa6dfa4149.jpg

1405688942380.jpg.a8214809a728f6159576e6173d47050d.jpg

I don't imagine it's the 'oak' bracket (Inonotus dryadeus)

I think it's a very early developing Inonotus hispidus, which if it is, is relatively rare on beech. I've only once come across the two associating.

Hispidus is a white rotter.

I have no knowledge of any failures of it on beech, so can't really offer any advice.

Looks like its part of the group and as such would be part sheltered by the rest of the beeches?

Combined ID+ management Assistance with significance of this one would be great. I think it may be Innonotus dryadeus on a Beech tree. The tree was showing signs of dieback. Another tree surgeon performed 2m reduction and 10% thin two years ago. Reasonably vigorous response to the prunning considering it was a wee bit hard. However there is a section of necrotic bark surrounding a branch pruning wound with allot of fibre buckling on the opposite side.

The customer has concerns as the previous tree surgeon did a good job of relaying that it was disease but didn't got too much into a long term plan. I. E retention/future work or any would even be required.

The tree is in a very exposed part of town by the coast.

I'm thinking I will thin it out again and try to correct any strange re-growth from the previous reduction.

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Arbtalk mobile app

Your fungus is Inonotus for sure, but its I. cuticularis, rather than hispidus. seems to be some beech canker associated with the wound which covers a larger area than we would like to see on a tall tree.

I also wouldnt thin it at all, such a waste of time and not at all in keeping with the whole retrench to a lower crown idea that needs to be implemented to save this tree in the long haul.

This tree is going to be a hard sell for long term retention, best option in my mind is allow the tree a few years to build reserves again after the initial work, try to encourage some shooting lower down, nick the bark above the crown break for example, or spike up it a few times! then come back in 2-3 years and pollard it at the crown break leaving 2 metre stubs with as much leaf as possible. Lime the major stems and limbs on the south facing side.

In the wait between plant another close by, as a replacement for the potential removal.

Your fungus is Inonotus for sure, but its I. cuticularis, rather than hispidus. seems to be some beech canker associated with the wound which covers a larger area than we would like to see on a tall tree.

I see why you've made that association (due in part to host), but I would imagine that the clustered bracket would more often than not fruit as a cluster rather than a singular fruit body as with Owens example, no?

more like in these shots below of I. cuticularis on beech....

(although accepted that I. hispidus does fruit in tiers as well as singular brackets)

IMG_7595.jpg.31133901483a6e272535a892cd193fff.jpg

IMG_7593.JPG.71b8bc34e507a7a415988a477810a3b9.JPG

IMG_7592.jpg.e22da72de0d74fb98612a5cb23f3054a.jpg

IMG_7590.JPG.d54eb0289db80ea637bc0e20b62d9f5f.JPG

also, when I've found Inonotus cuticularis fruiting its predominantly fruiting from a wound like in the above shots, not through the bark like Owens, no?

(again, accepted that I. hispidus does fruit from canker strips & open wounds)

Discounting the 'cluster' of what ever that is in the background tree for the minute, Owen's young developing fruitbody looks very like a number of young developing fruitbodies of Inonotus hispidus, like the two examples below.

Have you got any images of what I. cuticularis looks like in its young developing form?

DSCF0291.JPG.97da50d9c5e5923e5c58a6049f7d1135.JPG

DSCF9710.JPG.85f7c3231513fa013c22ca5378dfe39f.JPG

DSCF9355.jpg.678736a9969806e06ebd16cff8f96402.jpg

DSC07763.JPG.c419383621c8cf0f3464e5335776facc.JPG

DSC07761.JPG.983536159836cb63241aa92ba7d0ab31.JPG

1405689060275.jpg.1667f4d743cddce71251cd44bb82af67.jpg