I am thinking about going self employed.

chipper080

He told me that he rang his insurance company up and they told him that i would not be covered i would have to have my own cover who is right or wrong as rupe said the plot thickens have they got pl?

The insurance will say that if he used the word "subbie" or "sub contractor" but he is using those words in the wrong context.

Its true that if he (the company) uses a sub contractor to carry out work on his behalf then he must ensure that subcontractor has his own policy. That is true. The problem is you are not a subby, but if he used that word then the insurance company are right in how they answered. The corrcet terminolgy is "bonafide sub contractor" and it means a seperate tree surgery company that is doing the work under "sub contract" to the main company who got the work from the client.

Same as if you call the insurance company and tell them you are a sub contractor then they will sell you a policy.

But you are (planning to be) a self employed groundie, and the nickname for that (which I hate) is subbie. But its not the same as a bona fide subcontractor by a miilion miles its not the same.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they have none then your neck is not in any noose anyway, dont worry about it.

If a bunch of school kids get killed becasue of a job you are on then they will go out of business and you will have to find another job.

Im being silly now of course. If anyone got hurt you would be gutted of course so make sure that never happens, but you cant have a seperate policy as a groundie working for a tree company that will ever do any good in that situation, so no you dont need your own policy.

If they have none then dont work for them, but dont get your own to make up for their lack of insurance, thats not a good idea.

Just to chip in and agree with Rupe.

If you do work for this company they may well have to declare you as an effective employee which will increase their PL insurance premium. Which is why they tried to get you to take out your own- it doesn't work like that.

Similarly- you don't sound self employed working like this if this is the only firm you work for or if you are directed in your work ( see other recent threads on this). Just be careful.

I am having second thoughts about taking this job think it best to forget this one and look into another one i found on my doorstep.

Best to quit while you are a head and as i am looking for work and getting some coming my way i think i can forget about this one and move on to the next one.

Thanks all.

Do not work for a company without insurance - ever! You will be better off starting your own business and getting appropriate insurance covers for your peace of mind. Consider becoming an independent contractor with your own brand name. This will give you more flexibility and you will feel safer. Sure there are risks (big one being finding work), but a lot of it has to do with being proactive and networking with people in the industry (on forums like this one, for example). Good luck!