Rec climb Watford/ Hunting for uk gems.

nathan marshall

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all. Google and pulleys brought me here a few months back and I stayed for the splicing, but this thread coaxed me into registering.

As a local I'm about 5 minutes from the Lime Avenue so I thought I'd stop by on Saturday to spectate for a while.

Also I have a cheeky favour to ask. About 5 minutes walk from the Grove Mill car park, heading along the main path that runs west towards Rouse Barn Lane, there is an old piece of rope tied to a branch overhanging a disused pit. It's used as a swing by local kids in the summer months, but it's been up there a few years now. Would it be too much to ask for someone to wander by and check it out with a view to removing it if possible. I cringe when I see someone swinging on it and it's not doing the tree much good either. Problem is the drop, as it's out over a pit. It is about an 6m drop if the rope breaks.

If you're so inclined you might like to checkout the star wars locations on the way - I kid you not.

Below is a map with the location of the rope swing marked.

Whippendell Woods

I've added some other points that you may find useful, the full list is:

G - The Grove Mill Lane car park.

L - Lime Avenue.

R - The Rope Swing.

P - Alternative car park in Cassiobury Park.

X - Nearest shops with parking - inc small supermarket like a Spar Shop.

T - Alternative local shops with parking - with a Spar Shop.

S - The Clarendon Arms - the nearest half decent pub.

You can mouse over the points on the map for more options, navigate using the buttons below the map, and view more info in the table below the map.

Glad to hear from a fellow whippendell enthusiast:thumbup1: and welcome to the forum, If the lads dont get round to the rope swing this saturday I will ASAP, its not something I would normaly notice, eyes glued to the trees and forest floor!:thumbup1:

I cant make it this saturday lads, weather hold ups and well behind:thumbdown: