Crane Cuts

atree

Got my first crane job(have used Hiabs before) on friday,and just wondering whats the best cuts to use,Step cuts? straight through? 3/4 way through then diaganol?

Crane will be 100t and will be pretty close to the trees,We have dismantled all the brush and wood that could be chipped.

Pic of one of the trees (may look a bit ruff..but 1st tree in a while)

Cheers

DSCN4206.jpg.49a84e26d9c0e295a2692b82e5dd4fff.jpg

I am tempted to say save your money on the crane and fell it! I'm presuming there is a reason for using the crane?

nothing to do with me im just a climber,plus there are 3 other trees of the same size next to it and its on building site,university,road,irrigation pipes blah blah blah hence easier with crane.

Crane drivers don't like step cuts as it can jolt the rig. Position the end of the jib, with the two chains tight(adjust to suit, and balanced so the limb/section will remain oriented as it stands even after it's cut)slightly away from you in the direction you want the section to move once it's free.

You need the driver to pinch the chains to get some of the weight off the section. The chains should just bite into the bark or wood. Be careful, a 100t crane has a lot of 'pinch' so don't go too mad. Get a feel for the way the rig operates by doing some relatively small bits first.

Do a small back cut and then pass the saw through as smoothly as you can. The drivers are usually bloody good and as soon as he feels it release he'll get the section away from you.

Check with driver what he is good for weight wise from where he sets up but if he is close by with a 100 ton crane and as your new to it, do that tree in 5 lifts. Anchor into the top, take far left limb 1st, then middle left down to bottom fork. Far right limb next and then go up to near your anchor and connect chains 1/4 to a 1/3 of the way down from top, go down and take that last stem at bottom fork level. Last cut I reckon will be from the base but have a think about what it's weight and again check with driver.

Hope this all makes sense