Firewood - water content

sylvestris stew

but what had he burnt before using the ash???? wet birch-wet pine-wet conifer? doubt it was the 2 loads of fresh ash that caused the chimney fire

dont know mate, but there could be several variables in the chimney fire senario........just know that no customer of mine has ever had one off my f/wood and thats the most important thing to me

i'll burn fresh wood at home but i will always burn the fire hot for 20 mins to burn off whats uo the chimney.... i always feel if the stove glass has burned from black to clean then the chimney is too

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres 1 wood i do keep away from and thats willow.. as it tends to leave a ash that looks like fiber glass... millions of little strands...

i do burn fresh fruit woods,as the aroma is very nice :001_smile:

willow.. thats intresting.. i'll have to burn some now to see that. i find willow dries quick, burns fast, but burns hot hot hot.

fruit wood only good for open fires, or if you have a stove, its only the passers by outside that get the scent:001_tongue:

The aroma of fruit woods is also good when its seasoned and you get a good heat. The difference between your open fire and a stove for seasoned wood is you have more control of the speed of burn with a stove particularly the ones that self regulate with a thermostat so you can regulate the rate of burn and subsequently the heat output.

I also never burn wet Ash, only wood with a moisture content of 20 or below.

I had my stove fitted 3 years ago and for the first couple of months I followed others advise and burnt ash because I didn't have seasoned wood.

I could never get the stove hot (cleanburn stove so moisture coming out of the wood is circulated) and when I got on the roof and looked down the chimney, two months after I first fired it up, there were tarry deposits all the way up the chimney, especailly near the top.

It's now dry soot lining the chimney as I now only burn very very well seasoned wood.

It hasn't been cleaned for three years, it doesn't seem to get too sooty as yet, I go up and look down with a torch every now and again.

My stove gets lit around october and burns 24 hours a day for about 5 or six months continously