Stunted Oaks

Stubby

I walk with the kids and my dog through the read beds and into the part of Chichester Harbor called Fishborn creek . There are some mature oaks with trunks between 3 and 4 foot diameter . The main trunk only rises to a foot or less , then the crown spreads . ( you can step into the crown from the ground ) These trees look completely healthy , odd piece of dead wood nothing else . The crown looks consistent with a tree of much taller stature say 50 - 06 feet but they are only 20 feet at most . They are about 200 yards from the mean high water mark . Is it the brackish water that has given them this conformation ? What age would you estimate they are given a trunk of 4 ft diameter ?

I haven't seen those, but I'd like to have a look. Where exactly are they?

Have you seen the oaks just north of Chichester marina? They're sitting on the beach with amazing roots running on the surface back into the nearest soil about a metre or two away. It's amazing what they can survive, even if they're not exactly thriving!

Sounds like it could be wind damage, possibly coupled with poor nutrient availability. What sort of soil is it?

Exposed upland areas often have oaks like that, like this on Birk Bank near Lancaster 770962_2f5740c7.jpg

Edited by HCR

I haven't seen those, but I'd like to have a look. Where exactly are they?

Have you seen the oaks just north of Chichester marina? They're sitting on the beach with amazing roots running on the surface back into the nearest soil about a metre or two away. It's amazing what they can survive, even if they're not exactly thriving!

Go down to the old mill pond ( small lane next to "The Bull Hut " pub . FGeed the ducks on mill pond ( optional ) Face south and take the foot path that goes right . over the sluice gate for the pond ,and through the reed beds . Keep going over all the bridges over the rife . Then follow the path on the old sea wall with intermittent thorn hedge . Foot path drops down onto the for shore after a bit . walk another 30 yards and you are upon them .