twisting rope

DrewB

what makes rope twist below your hitch? my blaze seems to twist way more than 13mm rope and its starting to p#ss me off! is there any way of tieing my vt or xt in a way that discourages the dreaded twist?

also, has anyone used the new spiderjack and cocoon from art? whar is the cocoon for as well or is it just a new cambium saver?

drew,i had the same problem with my blaze....not so bad with my fly rope, or velocity. we have discussed this many times in the past. one guy mentioned alternating the braids on the v.t. i tried that but it didnt seem to work for me, or the hitch didnt perform as i liked so i stopped. could be worth trying though.

i think the hitch is combing out twists from the ran length of the line; that end up below the hitch. If, there is resistance on the end of the line, and/or the total resistance of the hanging weight of the line; is greater than the twist force, the twists trap in the line/do not freely twist off.

Have you tried laying the line out, so there is no resistance for twists to play off the free end; and scraping it against a gaunltet of close posts twisting it to comb out twists off the free end?

or lay totally out/no resistance; tie off one end and have large man (with good beer supply) bump a tight prussik down the full length a few times to comb out twists and off free end.

i purposefully twist ropes on storage...

In coiling; lay out rope perfectly flat and free with no resistances, knots, twists, curves etc. rubbing nothing but ground. Then twist/roll rope between fingers a half revoulution before each turn goes to coil. Think in imagery of the rope wants to twist and you are forcing it not to, and sending twists maid off the free end. Also, imagine that if the resistances on the free end are greater than the resistances in finger twistings, the twists will work into the coil, and not off the free end.

In baging/flaking i grab from left, then right out of free flowing line; into the pile. But, i twist/roll rope between fingers at each grab; but left may roll line clockwise; while right rolls line counter clockwise; to cancel each other neutral into the pile.

Even doing this right a few times might not solve; until the memory of 'abuse' forgives you. Hanging; gives even more freedom to let twists walk off line; as there is no ground friction. But, combing hitch down with full weight; is a pretty harsh combing. Try to have end free, and try to have groundie below you work twists off if end of rope is on ground; thereby resisting twists walking off free end.

Some ropes seem to have more twisting, some hitches seem to give more. Especially VT; some fellows give counter twists to braids, to cancel above tails/twists.