Cardiff Firewood Suppliers

mattel

Hi,

I run a small woodworking business and over the winter have supplied a number of log stores to customers in the area. Most of these people have just had a log burner installed and ask if I know of any decent local wood suppliers. I have a log burner, but cut my own wood and so can't provide a personal recommendation.

I've made some enquiries, but the people I've contacted are perhaps a little expensive (more than £130 delivered) or selling fresh-cut wood.

Is there anyone in the Cardiff area supplying and delivering seasoned firewood by volume at £100 or less per cubic metre?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

hi matt, my name is owen i can supply a bulk bag of seasoned hardwood for £60 a bulk bag and can deliver anywhere in south wales.

Considering the cost of fuel and the price of cord, £60 delivered anywhere in south Wales is a remarkably good price. If I was delivering to Cardiff from where I'm based (30miles east) then I'd have to charge at least £120 for a cubic meter loose load @20% moisture. South Wales geographically is a large area, my last enquiry was from Ferryside nr Carmarthen, the logs I would do for £90 but the delivery was £60 and four hours out of my life!

Is it a cubic meter builders bag and what's the moisture content? I might be interested myself!:sneaky2:

hi matt, my name is owen i can supply a bulk bag of seasoned hardwood for £60 a bulk bag and can deliver anywhere in south wales.

Hi Owen, Welcome to the forum, I see this is your first post.

There are several hundred members here supplying firewood in various scales accross teh country. Most have Arb interests but some like me sell firewood as an offshoot of a stove buisness. I therefore buy cord in and process myself or buy in ready processed logs.

I assume your quote is a half cube 80x80x80 builder bag. None the less the delivered cost is IMHO unwise, even if the timber is arb waste with a zero material cost.

It costs about £1.50 a mile to run a Landrover or Transit, ( see Fleet Facts website) £60 gets you no more than 20 miles up the road. You can easily run 150 miles, use a pallet carrier and its £45 + VAT + cost of pallet and bag. So 45 + 5%, 47.50, + bag + pallet, got to be near £60 plus the timber and the cost of hauling it to your yard and processing it. And of course covered storage, I am processing now for next winter, I need two decent buildings now to hold a winters stock, these are not cheap to rent.

So please show us where your profit is in £60?, what is the moisture content and how long has the cord been felled and processed. I don't intend to criticise but I cannot see anyone being in business long at that sort of profit level.

I suspect that you need a bit of guidance on your sell out prices and am trying to help and not flame you.

Thanks

A

Edited by Alycidon

£60 for a "bulk bag" in other words builders bag its about the going rate around here. Pretty much everyone on fleebay around here sells them too.

I got so fedup i put an advert for a builders bag on ebay and in the description explained that the listing was just to show the difference in price between a builders bag and cubic metre bag, i quoted the builders bag load on offer was 0.5 cubic metre and for £60 you can buy this builders bag of mixed hard/softwood or in my other listings you can buy a full cubic metre of mixed for £85. I had tripple the watchers i have ever had in 2 days than the cubic metre loads and 2 people even bought it without contacting me before hand. So even if you put it in writing that its cheaper to buy a cubic metre they still buy a builders bag!

I filled a builders bag the other day and have taken a picture if it next to one of our cubic metre bags just to try and show people the difference in size! I was shocked myself

Fighting a loosing battle though i think

There are lots of people running around buying cheap wet crap logs as cheap as possible. There are alot of people running around selling logs that cant add up.These two sets of people find each other on the net until hard weather jits then it all runs out. I am not reffering to anyone on hear £60 for a .7cu bulk bag is about right round our way. But to the public a big white bag is a big white bag. We have people tipping 3 cu metres for £140 . It costs me £120 for the wood.

It costs the same to deliver a half cube bag as a whole cube bag and that is a major cost that needs factoring into the selling price.

£60 for half a cube of is OK, I sell at £115 for a cube but I would be looking for a 2 cube order to deliver over 10 miles.

A