pics

haha its ok mate .yeah its been LOLER tested he said its fine because its not ppe and it dosnet need any numbers because im not selling them :)

That’s nice work, and I speak as someone who has fabricated more than a few lowering devices but………………………

It’s not "fine because it’s not PPE" and selling them has nothing whatever to do with the LOLER regs.

Anything that comes under a LOLER inspection needs to be individually identifiable. I appreciate that this is a unique item and for you hard to confuse with another similar device but it still needs a number.

If your man didn’t know that, it begs a question.

How was the device tested?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s nice work, and I speak as someone who has fabricated more than a few lowering devices but………………………

It’s not "fine because it’s not PPE" and selling them has nothing whatever to do with the LOLER regs.

Anything that comes under a LOLER inspection needs to be individually identifiable. I appreciate that this is a unique item and for you hard to confuse with another similar device but it still needs a number.

ok mate the thing is that the winch has been tested individualy.otherwise it wouldnt have a swl .the bolts have been tested before you buy them.and the steel gets tested before you buy it and so do the ratchet straps .but if there was welding on the unit then yeah fair enough because the weld has no swl . this is what my loler man has said anyway haha so you put those together you have a safe unit i guess as long as the rope you use is the weakest link . now say that you were a sailer and get paid to do it as a job and you put a new winch on your boat is it tested when you fit it ?? i cant see any different. and i have bought a number of bollards and there are no numbers on them atall .dont know sounds a grey area to me

and i cannot find any numbers on my grcs original do you know where they are ?

avatar tree climber, the fundamental design of your device is not good.

The bollard/winch on the GRCS and Hobbs - look at where they're positioned in relation to the base plate and strap. There's a very good engineering reason for this. When they are loaded the bollard is forced into the tree. When you load yours the force wants to go up the tree because you've positioned the bollard in the middle of the plate.

People nearly always leave this critical design feature out when making homemade devices.

21195_L.jpg

21420_L.jpg

ok mate the thing is that the winch has been tested individualy.otherwise it wouldnt have a swl

Indeed it does but you have incorporated it into a unit and it needs testing as a unit

.the bolts have been tested before you buy them.and the steel gets tested before you buy it and so do the ratchet straps .

Do they? Each strap and individual bolt tested?, was the steel tested? I have bought many of the above items and never seen a test cert, particularly not one for LOLER.

but if there was welding on the unit then yeah fair enough because the weld has no swl .

Any weld would not get a SWL per se, it would be a SWL for the unit.

now say that you were a sailer and get paid to do it as a job and you put a new winch on your boat is it tested when you fit it ?? i cant see any different.

Well the unit is tested but the way its attached is beyond the control of the manufacturers so that part of it isn’t tested, if the boat were UK commercial the winch would need a LOLER inspection and this would include the attachment.

and i have bought a number of bollards and there are no numbers on them atall

.dont know sounds a grey area to me

A lot of people use the “grey area” get out, it’s only grey if your printer is running out of ink when you print the regulations.

and i cannot find any numbers on my grcs original do you know where they are ?

GRCS is made in the USA, LOLER is the UK response to European legislation, it didnt need a number where it was made. You need to add one.

Many hardware manufacturers were late getting serial numbers onto biners and the like, I have had to engrave countless biners.

If it (and your own made one) hasn't got a number how has your LOLER man manged to pass it as fit to use?

I am only highlighting these points to allow you to comply with the legislation, if it hits the fan you will be glad you did

avatar tree climber, the fundamental design of your device is not good.

The bollard/winch on the GRCS and Hobbs - look at where they're positioned in relation to the base plate and strap. There's a very good engineering reason for this. When they are loaded the bollard is forced into the tree. When you load yours the force wants to go up the tree because you've positioned the bollard in the middle of the plate.

People nearly always leave this critical design feature out when making homemade devices.

21195_L.jpg

21420_L.jpg

what are you talking about thats why i have 2 straps i have bollards that are designed the same way !!!

what are you talking about thats why i have 2 straps i have bollards that are designed the same way !!!

if i took the top ratchet off it would be ruffley the same .but with 2 straps ive got 2 lots of friction to the trunk !

i have put atleast a tonne on this winch a 2o ft 18inch across piece of ash and it did not shift i think its fine .

and the grcs the ratchet design on the strap is crap unless its put on a large tree due to to many raps on the ratchet .you cant tighten it aswell as a normal ratchet strap

thats why i changed the backplate

IMG_3396.jpg.a5e2d780cc07a51caf63d4ab829b471f.jpg

GRCS is made in the USA, LOLER is the UK response to European legislation, it didnt need a number where it was made. You need to add one.

Many hardware manufacturers were late getting serial numbers onto biners and the like, I have had to engrave countless biners.

If it (and your own made one) hasn't got a number how has your LOLER man manged to pass it as fit to use?

I am only highlighting these points to allow you to comply with the legislation, if it hits the fan you will be glad you did

so your saying i need to add a number to my GRCS that i bought ?