Electric saw advice needed (sorry!)

woodentop

Hiya.

I'm new here but have spent hours and hours (days and days according to my wife), reading your posts and hoping to find an answer to my problem.

I do a fair bit of woodwork mostly as a hobby making lathe turned flowerpot men but also like to do a bit of whittling/carving. A couple of years ago I went on a course in Suffolk and managed to get my CS30/31 and that made me want to expand my hobby and try a bit of chainsaw carving.

I only have a hobby style chainsaw (from Aldi I think) a petrol Gardenline GPLC40. I use it mostly for cutting the blanks that I mount the fllowerpot men on but have used it for a carving which I finished off with with power sanding. The drawbacks are

1). Its too noisy-neighbours get peed off

2) Its unweildy - 16" bar

3) Using it in a garage is a bit like trying to commit suicide with a car exhaust pipe

4) It does not like re-starting after more than 3 minutes use without a 24 hour break!

The only way forward seems to go electric but I cant find much on the uk sites to choose from. There seems to be quite a few US sites who offer electric carving deals (Makita for example) but nothing really in the UK.

It looks like power and chain speed should be a factor to consider so I was thinking of 2000watt or more and a high chain speed.

Can anyone advise me which UK available electric chainsaw I should look at that could be easily fitted with a carving bar and chain?

Thanks, Richard

Hiya.

I'm new here but have spent hours and hours (days and days according to my wife), reading your posts and hoping to find an answer to my problem.

I do a fair bit of woodwork mostly as a hobby making lathe turned flowerpot men but also like to do a bit of whittling/carving. A couple of years ago I went on a course in Suffolk and managed to get my CS30/31 and that made me want to expand my hobby and try a bit of chainsaw carving.

I only have a hobby style chainsaw (from Aldi I think) a petrol Gardenline GPLC40. I use it mostly for cutting the blanks that I mount the fllowerpot men on but have used it for a carving which I finished off with with power sanding. The drawbacks are

1). Its too noisy-neighbours get peed off

2) Its unweildy - 16" bar

3) Using it in a garage is a bit like trying to commit suicide with a car exhaust pipe

4) It does not like re-starting after more than 3 minutes use without a 24 hour break!

The only way forward seems to go electric but I cant find much on the uk sites to choose from. There seems to be quite a few US sites who offer electric carving deals (Makita for example) but nothing really in the UK.

It looks like power and chain speed should be a factor to consider so I was thinking of 2000watt or more and a high chain speed.

Can anyone advise me which UK available electric chainsaw I should look at that could be easily fitted with a carving bar and chain?

Thanks, Richard

Makita do some good ones

Hi Gus,

Thanks for that. I was looking at the Makita's and the 5012b seems to be their weapon of choice as that particular one has a real high speed but all the 'off shelf' ones available seem to come with a standard bar and chain in the UK. The US seem to do the Makita 5012b already fitted wit carving bar but I dont want the expense or hassle of ordering from abroad in case later problems with it.

Hi Gus,

Thanks for that. I was looking at the Makita's and the 5012b seems to be their weapon of choice as that particular one has a real high speed but all the 'off shelf' ones available seem to come with a standard bar and chain in the UK. The US seem to do the Makita 5012b already fitted wit carving bar but I dont want the expense or hassle of ordering from abroad in case later problems with it.

if u buy an american electric machine you will have to change the plug to our uk site 110v yellow plug and run it of a transformer as america run of 110v insted of 240v

Portable Transformer with 2 Output Sockets 3kVA | Screwfix.com

CED 110V 2-Pin + Earth Yellow Plug | Screwfix.com

Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid that Stihl & Husqs are a bit too expensive for me.

The Makita 240v 2000w (13.3 m per minute) does look like it might suit my needs and my pocket but do Makita make their own quarter tip carving bar or is their another manufacturer whose bars would fit Makita models?

Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid that Stihl & Husqs are a bit too expensive for me.

The Makita 240v 2000w (13.3 m per minute) does look like it might suit my needs and my pocket but do Makita make their own quarter tip carving bar or is their another manufacturer whose bars would fit Makita models?

Out of curiosity, are you getting the prices from the stihl and husqvarna websites?

When I needed an electric I chose the Makita UC3530 over the 5012B for a number of reasons. I am running a dime tip canon carving bar with 1/4 pitch carving chain. I was planning to put a Stihl Picco bar and chain on it but the oiler holes did not line up. The Canon has a universal mount.

Suurcing the drum and 1/4 pitch rim was not too difficult but was a bit tricking assembling. I ended up putting an oversized rim on it to increase chain speed.

I expected a lot of lost torque but have been very happy with the saw for light cutting and detailing.

If you would like more info or pictures email me [email protected]