redwood dismantle

testcricket01

It'll be air dried. Then some will be a benchy/table affair, some will be cladding, one piece is going to be squared with the alaskan into a bench with a feature, one that I did another thread on will become a castle for my nephews, and the rest I havent yet decided. Possibly try some shingles out of the offcuts, just as a tester

I suspect if you had cut it to thin it would be very susceptible to splitting whilst drying. Thanks Andy

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect if you had cut it to thin it would be very susceptible to splitting whilst drying. Thanks Andy

The last load of cladding I did i milled at either 2 or 3", air dryed for around 8 months, then re milled down to half inch, they've held their shape beautifully.

• 3 weeks later...
Scary job! what did it die of?

and dont say death by chainsaw lol

Well originally thought it was compaction as it was all tarmaced under it about 5 yrs ago and last years extremes in weather, now its down we have found the mycelium layers under the bark so i think it was honey fungus but im far from a decent fungi person, think that was the conclusion earlier in this thread anyways.

is this near yarmouth road just out of interest ? and that is one beast of a tree !! keep you busy for half hour or so:lol:

Yes it was at the old rectory hotel in thorpe on yarmouth road the stumps still there 8ft across hes hoping to get a carver in to make a seat which will be nice that its still part of the house for a good many years yet in some form :thumbup1:

i did wonder we cut hedges for two properties just up the road :thumbup1: i agree with you it would be a shame to have the stump removed at least if its made into something you would have an idea of the giant that was once there :thumbup:

You should have noticed that tree before then? Certainly was a beast, im from kings lynn so was abit of a trek for me out there.