Loosening Bar Nut on Husqvarna 435

rimo911s

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see from the markings on the bar that it should be " pixal " chain , as Husqvarna call it . I think the drivers are 1,3mm wide . Measure the driver tangs on the chain with a vernier caliper or better still a micrometer . If they are any wider you will have problems . One other thing you have removed all or any plastic transit spacers that may have been put in over the bar stud etc ? Can't imagine you would have left them in but just in case !

Sounds like your chain tension is too high, unless that chainbreak is off, then it's your brake band

Think that chain break looks on to me rather than off.

Something must be pinching the chain on the front of the cover. Either by the tensioner or above it.

Try the original chain again and have a good look turning the saw upside down while tightening up the nut. See what is touching the chain. Are you sure the cover is going on properly? If it is catching on something at the back it will not go on square and pinch the front up.

The nut should tighten up and only pinch the bar.

Looks like any plastic transport covers have been removed by the pictures on page one.

It's hard not having the saw in hand to look at hence asking for pictures as they speak a thousand words.

Sorry if all the above sounds simple but sometimes it's the simple things that get over looked. :thumbup:

Yea brake band looks snapped on to me .

Good point. Looking at it it doesn't look like its sitting on the plates around the band. Looks too deep into the cover.

Not sure about it pinching the chain but if its pushing the cover in at an angle it could do.

If its snapped on , and not round the clutch drum , then when you do the bar nut up it will compress the band against the clutch drum and cant the cover out of line . I have had this situation once . I managed to get the cover on far enough to en gauge the brake pawl to enable me to snap it off . the the cover went on ok . You might need to clamp the cover and use a tool of some kind to try and snap it off/open .

If its snapped on , and not round the clutch drum , then when you do the bar nut up it will compress the band against the clutch drum and cant the cover out of line . I have had this situation once . I managed to get the cover on far enough to en gauge the brake pawl to enable me to snap it off . the the cover went on ok . You might need to clamp the cover and use a tool of some kind to try and snap it off/open .

:thumbup::thumbup:

Give it a go.

Good point. Looking at it it doesn't look like its sitting on the plates around the band. Looks too deep into the cover.

Not sure about it pinching the chain but if its pushing the cover in at an angle it could do.

I'm a novice with this so can you give me an idiots guide to what you are suggesting please? :blushing:

I am assuming that the 'brake band' being referred to is the circular band on the inside of the cover? Is that designed to sit around the outside of the clutch?

What does Stubby mean when he refers to the brake pawl?

Do you have any photos that would help me? :hmmmm2:

Ok. Spud is the best man to describe how this works but I will give it a shot.

The brake band is the piece you are thinking off that is in the cover. When the cover is put on the saw this band will fit around the brake drum. Offer the cover up to the saw and you should be able to see what we mean.

When the brake handle is applied it snaps this band around the drum stopping it and so stopping the chain. If the band is not sitting over the drum properly it will effect the chain. Think of a handbrake on a car sticking on.

For a bit more info the clutch is central fugal and the fast the engine is the further out the clutch plates move engaging the drum. On the main saw in the first lot of pictures. The band will sit around the outside of this drum, when handle is in off position it allows the drum to spin. When on position the band will clamp around the drum and stop it.

The brake brawl is the funny shaped part at the top of the cover. Sort of star shaped or a bit like a radioactive type sign bit. This fits onto the handle part of the saw. Again offer it up and see how it fits together.

When the handle is on it engages this brawl and activates the chain break. The chain brake band snaps into position by springs and all sorts of linkages. Take the cover apart and watch them go flying out. (Don't do this unless you know where it all fits together)

What we are looking at is if the band is engaged the drum will not fit around it but hit the drum and push on in a funny way.

If you have access to a vice or way of clamping the cover down use an open ended spanned or a pair of pliers open in the brawl (star shaped bit) and turn it. You will see the band open out or close in. With the band opened out it will fit over the drum properly. Should ensure the chain moves freely.

This is the best I can really do to explain something I'm afraid so if it makes no sense the only thing I can advise is to just offer the cover up to the saw without the bar on and just take a few minutes looking at how it all fits together. Keep pulling it away and offering it back until you get to see where all the bits fit together.

Sorry I don't have any husky saws to put any pics up for you.