How many Arbtalkers are AA members

jaime bray

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

- like yourself Jaime, at the offset of my career in the early 90's, I agree that the AA, (with membership and/or accreditation thereof), were was seen as the pinnacle of the industry in the Uk, and aspired to "one day" join the rank and file within.

But like it or not, towards the end of the 90's through the early 00's, the industry in this country changed.

- We had the arrival on these shores of the NAA (as it was- now TCIA), and then the ISA., resulting in an influx of new methods, ideas, kit etc.

- with the arrival of the PUWER, WAHR, LOLER etc, the practical (contracting) side of the industry had the increasing changes and implementation in H&S practices.

- there was the rise of the golden "pound" within education, and more and more colleges jumping on the band wagon and offering (attempts) at arb quals (or rather "do a short course NPTC and you can become a "tree surgeon"), thus leading to an increase in the number of smaller companies as competency certs became the norm, and minimal requirement for lower level academic quals.

- there was the demise of the "local authority approved" lists, and the introduction of schemes like CHAS, Construction Line, NHSS, etc

- there was the increase in "a.n.other" magazines and publications that have continued to grow towards the Arb arm of the trees and timber industry, and create a clearer divide between Arb and Forestry.

The list goes on, resulting in a LOT of very significant changes to an already still fairly juvenile industry.

And for most, throughout that extremely formative period, the AA weren't visible. They weren't seen by the grass roots level, of being there, in the thick of it, "leading the industry".

And in my humble opinion, I still think that the AA is stuck with the mindset under which it was created. For the academics. For the tree officers that were, back in the day, looking for a way of being able to employ contractors (including making money off them through membership/accreditation).

The problem being, that the industry has moved on. The AAAC tag is not a prerequisite to work like it used to be. As an employer of contractors nowadays myself as an LA tree officer, I pay no attention (nor am I even allowed to) as to whether a contractor or consultant is accredited or even holds membership. It's simply irrelevant.

And as the industry has progressed, so have the individuals. I've managed, like the rest, to grow. To progress. And I've managed that without those once magical little letters after my name. .

Would take a lot to convince me these days that I now, or will ever need them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Andy,

That is a real first class post. I think its safe to say that that is an example of constructive criticism.

By the sound of it you sound a fair man so I presume that everybody desereves a second chance in your book. Would it be fair to say that from the fact that 'a lot to convince you' means you are not a closed book and that a second chance of you being a member is a possibility? hehe...

I have volunteered for the AA for 20 months now and i have to say that major changes have and are taking place.

I guess the only way that industry persons can see those changes is if the AA shouts from the roof tops about this and that, and keep updates coming through this forum. From what I read within this thread and through conversations with people at Barchams seminars etc there is in some camps a real feeling of begrudgement about the AA and their apparent lack of industry assistance, this may relate to a time when you refer to, however i just used to pay membership and never question it so can not comment as i never paid attention to the industry issues. However I do think that the AA of old didnt use to blow its own trumpet when it was deserved and nobody else was going to do it for them.

Andy, what do you think to putting something in writing to me and I shall ensure that it goes to the right man. It would be even better if you could highlight in your opinion what needs to change, im guessing your a busy man but thats is a cracking post and i think that there is plenty more where it came from by the sounds of it.

Another big issue here is the ArbAc scheme is growing in takeup on a monthly basis, with more and more companies attaining the requirements to achieve the ArbAc 'status' if more and more companies become approved then the scheme gains publicity, neighbouring firms begin to require the scheme as their competitiors are operating to it.

The backshot of it is is that more and more firms are all operating at a assessed standard than they previously were and the industry gains recognition as being professional and maturity is shown. Companies that have been assessed as operating on a regular basis in accordance with UK statute law etc can only be a good thing to develop our industry to be strategically recognised and improve conditions for staff too.

Great post thanks for taking the time.

Andy,

That is a real first class post. I think its safe to say that that is an example of constructive criticism.

By the sound of it you sound a fair man so I presume that everybody desereves a second chance in your book. Would it be fair to say that from the fact that 'a lot to convince you' means you are not a closed book and that a second chance of you being a member is a possibility? hehe...

I have volunteered for the AA for 20 months now and i have to say that major changes have and are taking place.

I guess the only way that industry persons can see those changes is if the AA shouts from the roof tops about this and that, and keep updates coming through this forum. From what I read within this thread and through conversations with people at Barchams seminars etc there is in some camps a real feeling of begrudgement about the AA and their apparent lack of industry assistance, this may relate to a time when you refer to, however i just used to pay membership and never question it so can not comment as i never paid attention to the industry issues. However I do think that the AA of old didnt use to blow its own trumpet when it was deserved and nobody else was going to do it for them.

Andy, what do you think to putting something in writing to me and I shall ensure that it goes to the right man. It would be even better if you could highlight in your opinion what needs to change, im guessing your a busy man but thats is a cracking post and i think that there is plenty more where it came from by the sounds of it.

Another big issue here is the ArbAc scheme is growing in takeup on a monthly basis, with more and more companies attaining the requirements to achieve the ArbAc 'status' if more and more companies become approved then the scheme gains publicity, neighbouring firms begin to require the scheme as their competitiors are operating to it.

The backshot of it is is that more and more firms are all operating at a assessed standard than they previously were and the industry gains recognition as being professional and maturity is shown. Companies that have been assessed as operating on a regular basis in accordance with UK statute law etc can only be a good thing to develop our industry to be strategically recognised and improve conditions for staff too.

Great post thanks for taking the time.

Not at all Jaime, you're welcome. And thank YOU for your reply.

If you could drop me a PM with your e-mail address, I'd be more than happy to strike up some dialog and let you have the rest of what lurks in where that came from.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Not at all Jaime, you're welcome. And thank YOU for your reply.

If you could drop me a PM with your e-mail address, I'd be more than happy to strike up some dialog and let you have the rest of what lurks in where that came from.

I look forward to hearing from you.

[email protected]

I am guessing you wont, but dont hold back, I have reported many items in need of address to the AA that get reported to me and they are all being dealt with as resources permit.

Many thanks in advance.

If anybody else would like to air their grievances or niggles then please feel free to email me and i shall see that it is forwarded accordingly.

I am guessing you wont, but dont hold back, I have reported many items in need of address to the AA that get reported to me and they are all being dealt with as resources permit.

Many thanks in advance.

Don't worry, my younger wilder days of AA bashing have long gone.

I'll be gentle E00E.png

No, I have never herd of the aa anywhere but on arbtalk, never seen an ad publication nothing, does it still exist :001_tt2:

Not one of my customers would know of it or care ! I won't be able to charge more by being apart of it, but it will cost me a yearly fee so ill be negative in the pocket.

As a small business I promote my quality and prices direct to my customers, I provide as much information for them as needed far more than any association will ever do for me and its free.

No one can guarantee a good company that's why you build a reputation :001_cool:

The uk economy is still sliding down, overheads must be kept to only what is essential, this is not essential.

But if they really represented the interests of the industry (including us little guys) with legislation that is fair then it has its place. :biggrin:

No, I have never herd of the aa anywhere but on arbtalk, never seen an ad publication nothing, does it still exist :001_tt2:

Not one of my customers would know of it or care ! I won't be able to charge more by being apart of it, but it will cost me a yearly fee so ill be negative in the pocket.

As a small business I promote my quality and prices direct to my customers, I provide as much information for them as needed far more than any association will ever do for me and its free.

No one can guarantee a good company that's why you build a reputation :001_cool:

The uk economy is still sliding down, overheads must be kept to only what is essential, this is not essential.

But if they really represented the interests of the industry (including us little guys) with legislation that is fair then it has its place. :biggrin:

Hi TH services thanks for your comments, just wondering though, if no one can gaurantee a good company what is the point of you stating that you are local authority approved underneath your logo? Those may not be the exact words I forgot as passed into post.

I guess those people that desire to be Arboricultural Accredited companies ArbAcs (the new phrasing) from the AA, are in the same boat.

Does your local authority approved status get verified from pen to post? Im unfamiliar with the workings of the Local Authority approval scheme and have recently had one LA tree officer asking me what i thought to some people, not all or you, stating this when there is not even an approval system in place within their particular council.

My personal reason for joining the AA was for a sense of belonging, the high quality of the newsletters and info available, and ultimately to contribute to what I see as my industrys UK trade body, be it the charitable status that the AA beholds or the AA as the money making machine that some people judge it to be, which if you had heard the figures released at the AGM this year and if I remember correctly last year, is laughable to be honest.

Hopefully with the considerable changes taking place throughout the organisation at present and over the forth coming years it can attract more members.

If none of us were to ever have posted in arbtalk this forum would have never developed into what it is now, had the AA developed this forum would so many people still be engaging in it. Or would it be fair to say that because of the influences of our mentors throughout the early stages of our careers, had the AA created Arbtalk many would have snubbed it as the AA again!!! Sometimes it takes a concerted effort from industries to assist in the development of the industry, that effort needs to come from all and not just throw every issue at an organisation that in the past has possibly struggled due to lack of resources and funding, why were those short comings present, possibly through a multitude of things, but contributory to it I would hazard a guess that lack of membership and support would be considerably high on that list.

There are many people who see the value of the AA, keeping these people engaged is a task that is continually being assessed, however the poeple that are going to make the difference are people like you, sooooo how can the AA engage you and get your support?

Im off out quoting now so if I do not reply its not through ignorance, wil do so when next in.

Thanks for taking the time, as without knowing faults people and companies and anything can not adapt.

This thread has turned into a bit of a list of issues but thats fine i shall make sure that the people in the AA that need too, read this, and it will be used to assist in directing the AA over the next 2-5-10 years.

Edited by jaime bray

If none of us were to ever have posted in arbtalk this forum would have never developed into what it is now, had the AA developed this forum would so many people still be engaging in it. Or would it be fair to say that because of the influences of our mentors throughout the early stages of our careers, had the AA created Arbtalk many would have snubbed it as the AA again!!! Sometimes it takes a concerted effort from industries to assist in the development of the industry, that effort needs to come from all and not just throw every issue at an organisation that in the past has possibly struggled due to lack of resources and funding, why were those short comings present, possibly through a multitude of things, but contributory to it I would hazard a guess that lack of membership and support would be considerably high on that list.

Arbtalk and the AA could not be more different, there is no comparison.

Arbtalk is about sharing information, its about the hundreds of different ways of doing things.

The AA is about telling people what they must do and how they must do it.

Appreciate your response :001_tongue: I'm trading standards approved which does police background checks,insurance,qualifications,10 random recent customers independently asked to provide a review, conform to the sale of goods and services act, and many other things which ensure the customer receives a good service a fair price and they can take action should I not perform my job as stated in the quote.

Here's more info it may be useful

T.H. Tree Services Local Authority & Trading Standards Approved | Essex Tree Surgeon

I have seen AA approved company's and its amazing would you believe when the AA inspector is no longer there standards drop just a tad, but of course this is just my own experience :biggrin:

But my point was not to offend or negatively criticise the AA, just highlight clear and fundamental faults which affect its usefulness, ie you may be the best of the best but if you wave in the dark it won't do much