husky 550xp or 560xp?? please help

jnoon

So as title and recent threads have said im now p""""d off with my ms261. Its just come back for 3rd time for crank/clutch probs, its now got brake probs. I've had enough of it, its now costing me money when it should be earning me money, :confused1:,

So either going to get a refund from stihl or sell saw,

had 262 a while ago was good. I want to know what the responce and reviews on each saw before I order one, will run 15" bar.

thanks for your help.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

550 would be the closer equivalent to your 261 I think but I'd be fairly confident it would kick the 261's arse in performance.

I had one of the first 550's and mine's been great. It's not been out so much just lately but I dug it out the other day and had forgotten just how poky it is.

Generally mine's on a 13" but i had a 15" on it for some Sycamore thinnings in the summer and it did it no bother. They were the sort of size I'd generally have een taking the 357 into.

Had a 560 on demo for a week prior to ordering the 550 and was that impressed I ordered the 550 off the back of the demo. 560's not much heavier than the 550 but the extra power is really noticable. I'd go as far as saying it's probably not a million miles behind my 372 but a good chunk faster cutting than my 357.

A lot depends on what you're using it for - Mine's out in the woods thinning, as a chipper/ground saw it's maybe a bit overkill.

Ok . Both have had issues . I have a 560 that is fine now . It has had the following (under warranty) . Hotter spark plug , new updated carb , remap of auto tune . Then later a "tweek "by petmate390 on here . Known probs are pull start mech busting , rear av spring failing and some people experiencing hot start difficulties . Pull start hasd been modded I think , there is a new coil to aid hot start . Some may not have had these mods . One thing , the de comp pops out just with comression , even if it dose not fire ,so to help the pull start mech it is best to push the de comp in weather it fires or not . The ignition is on all the time which can cause people to flood it accidentally by putting the choke on . Once you get accustomed to it it is a stonking saw and I have never had better . 15" bar is perfect but will run an 18 ok .

550 would be the closer equivalent to your 261 I think but I'd be fairly confident it would kick the 261's arse in performance.

I had one of the first 550's and mine's been great. It's not been out so much just lately but I dug it out the other day and had forgotten just how poky it is.

Generally mine's on a 13" but i had a 15" on it for some Sycamore thinnings in the summer and it did it no bother. They were the sort of size I'd generally have een taking the 357 into.

Had a 560 on demo for a week prior to ordering the 550 and was that impressed I ordered the 550 off the back of the demo. 560's not much heavier than the 550 but the extra power is really noticable. I'd go as far as saying it's probably not a million miles behind my 372 but a good chunk faster cutting than my 357.

A lot depends on what you're using it for - Mine's out in the woods thinning, as a chipper/ground saw it's maybe a bit overkill.

cheers why did you go for 550 over 560xp mate and yes saw for hedging, ground work, chipper saw etc etc must do all jobs

Ok . Both have had issues . I have a 560 that is fine now . It has had the following (under warranty) . Hotter spark plug , new updated carb , remap of auto tune . Then later a "tweek "by petmate390 on here . Known probs are pull start mech busting , rear av spring failing and some people experiencing hot start difficulties . Pull start hasd been modded I think , there is a new coil to aid hot start . Some may not have had these mods . One thing , the de comp pops out just with comression , even if it dose not fire ,so to help the pull start mech it is best to push the de comp in weather it fires or not . The ignition is on all the time which can cause people to flood it accidentally by putting the choke on . Once you get accustomed to it it is a stonking saw and I have never had better . 15" bar is perfect but will run an 18 ok .

cheers mate maybe the 550xp would do maybe the 560xp will be too zippy

cheers why did you go for 550 over 560xp mate and yes saw for hedging, ground work, chipper saw etc etc must do all jobs

I needed a new small thinning saw. Already have 3 60cc saws on the shelf but the old 353 was getting tired and needed replacing and I didn't want a 346.

Depending on whether we get similar stands to work next season, a 560's on the shopping list as soon as I can justify it.

Talking to Husky at the APF, they suggested that most of the saws that have had running problems (rather than mechanical failure) were saws that wre only getting lighter use on arb type work (so more sporadic use during the day) rather than being pushed hard in the woods all day.

I have the 261 and it's had it's problems but touch wood it's been fine for a while but just wasn't up to the job for the forestry side of things. So I've gone and bought a 560 xpg and it's a cracking saw that's like day and night compared to the 261. It's runing an 18 inch bar on 7/32 chain no problem at all

I needed a new small thinning saw. Already have 3 60cc saws on the shelf but the old 353 was getting tired and needed replacing and I didn't want a 346.

Depending on whether we get similar stands to work next season, a 560's on the shopping list as soon as I can justify it.

Talking to Husky at the APF, they suggested that most of the saws that have had running problems (rather than mechanical failure) were saws that wre only getting lighter use on arb type work (so more sporadic use during the day) rather than being pushed hard in the woods all day.

I think a 550xp would do me have 660 as big saw thanks for your help mate