what equipment for a newbie?

Paul in France

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Ty.

Good points. I wondered about permits. Very secluded but you never know. I thought about the outlay and don't want to go mad straight off. I need a big grass cutter and the ride ons are very expensive here new and the used ones look shagged so I thought a compact tractor could be a jack of all trades. I'll give what you say some serious thought.

Cheers

Yes, your right, we ran a 17hp Iseki on Ag tyres with a small flail behind for bracken and brambles, rotovator and a topper for fields.

Tractors on sloping ground in woodlands though...

Felling and extracting trees in an area that others show little enthusiasm for...

Lots of risks involved in felling on difficult ground...

I imagine the reason for the other guys lack of interest in working your woodland was probally down to the difficulty in extracting the stuff?

I get calls from time to time from property rich cash poor Brits sitting on what seems like money trees, decent woodlands but in steep valleys or accessable only over a tiny frail bridge or even in the case of the last couple, 12 hectares (24 including the lake) of pop, willow and alder. They thought they had a forest and a gold mine. Sadly it would take a chopper to lift out the trees from such wet ground!

Regards

Ty

Have you thought about offering free summer camping with food and wine to a uk proffesional in return for there time during the summer months! I'd consider dragging the caravan to south west france with the family during the summer months for a negoitiated deal. You never know you might find there are others who would enjoy some time in a sunnier climate in return for a bit of graft!!

Just a thought!!

Yes, your right, we ran a 17hp Iseki on Ag tyres with a small flail behind for bracken and brambles, rotovator and a topper for fields.

Tractors on sloping ground in woodlands though...

Felling and extracting trees in an area that others show little enthusiasm for...

Lots of risks involved in felling on difficult ground...

I imagine the reason for the other guys lack of interest in working your woodland was probally down to the difficulty in extracting the stuff?

I get calls from time to time from property rich cash poor Brits sitting on what seems like money trees, decent woodlands but in steep valleys or accessable only over a tiny frail bridge or even in the case of the last couple, 12 hectares (24 including the lake) of pop, willow and alder. They thought they had a forest and a gold mine. Sadly it would take a chopper to lift out the trees from such wet ground!

Regards

Ty

I'm sure you're right about why there was the lack of interest. Fortunately it isn't something that will make or break us financially - more an interesting sideline but only where safe. The previous owner has kept himself self-sufficient and has left us 2 years worth of wood so I don't have to drive myself into the ground (literally)

Have you thought about offering free summer camping with food and wine to a uk proffesional in return for there time during the summer months! I'd consider dragging the caravan to south west france with the family during the summer months for a negoitiated deal. You never know you might find there are others who would enjoy some time in a sunnier climate in return for a bit of graft!!

Just a thought!!

Could be something to think about arnie - don't know about this summer as we have a fair amount on with getting the house sorted the way we want it. Ill speak to 'the boss' and PM you if there's mileage in it.

sounds fun, my mum is in france bit north of you ,the french forestry style is nice mainly chestnut coppice , we also have a small piece of wood there too.

dont know anything about forestry but i would imagine a normal tractor would be the best bet as it can also run splitters and winches etc.

not sure about work camps as most britts seem to go a bit mad on the cheap booze!!

any photos of the woodland??

carl

sounds fun, my mum is in france bit north of you ,the french forestry style is nice mainly chestnut coppice , we also have a small piece of wood there too.

dont know anything about forestry but i would imagine a normal tractor would be the best bet as it can also run splitters and winches etc.

not sure about work camps as most britts seem to go a bit mad on the cheap booze!!

any photos of the woodland??

carl

Will post photos when I get there............moving today........:thumbup:

I have a Kubota B7100 and it was quite expensive. Factory refurbished (didnt say which factory) but it needed going over since the refurbers didnt seem to have had a torque wrench in their toolkit.

I have a topper with it and it took out brambles and mixed scrub over an acre in half a day.

I used it to pull felled trees andit makes a good backweight felling trees sloping the wrong way.

They are a decent little tractor but because the wheels are so close together they can churn up the ground a bit.

Mine has a loader on the front and it is worth its weight in gold.

I paid around £4,500 for the tractor and a further

£750 for the implements.

It gets used well and gives good service.

I did consider a rather larger tractor but the cost of running and the weight on the land would have been too much.

Rather envious of the chateau and land.

Good luck ot you and be careful.