Raw Sewage.

Mick Stockbridge

Mick there is a small clause in the use of human waste on farmland. If it is spread above ground with a spreader, that's the big black piles that people see in field gateways. Then it must be cultivated in no more than 12 hours after it has been spread.

The hard pellet form can be spread by normal spreader and has no time limit for cultivation as it has been treated to not smell.

The direct method is suitable for grass lands and has no cultivation time either.

But all the waste must be treated to remove all harmful chemicals before being used. If he is doing it with untreated waste then ou have a case, but proving it would be difficult.

I spent many a happy hour with this stuff on fields a few years ago, I don't blame you as I didn't want to get out the cab for a wee let alone walk around. You get used to it after a week and don't smell it anymore, but trust me the missis and everyone in the supermarket can. :blushing:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me about it Rich. I got the tranny stuck today, combination of last nights rain and this idiot saturating the ground with shite. Managed to get it out but had to walk three miles home and pick up the L200. Lots of wheel spinning and shite everywhere she popped out. Hope it rains tonight to wash it all off both motors and chipper......:laugh1:

Cheers HCR....:thumbup1:

Mick there is a small clause in the use of human waste on farmland. If it is spread above ground with a spreader, that's the big black piles that people see in field gateways. Then it must be cultivated in no more than 12 hours after it has been spread.

The hard pellet form can be spread by normal spreader and has no time limit for cultivation as it has been treated to not smell.

The direct method is suitable for grass lands and has no cultivation time either.

But all the waste must be treated to remove all harmful chemicals before being used. If he is doing it with untreated waste then ou have a case, but proving it would be difficult.

I spent many a happy hour with this stuff on fields a few years ago, I don't blame you as I didn't want to get out the cab for a wee let alone walk around. You get used to it after a week and don't smell it anymore, but trust me the missis and everyone in the supermarket can. :blushing:

Rich, are you sure about this - thought the piles in fields was animal waste rather than human??

Rich, are you sure about this - thought the piles in fields was animal waste rather than human??

It depends, if they are black piles that seem to form a round dome shape and a crust that will start to crack then its human. Also look for tomatoes growing at the end of spring. (Not a joke they really happen)

The stuff with straw in is animal.

It's easy to tell the difference as the human stuff smells really sweet and sickly, animal just stinks.

I used to spread it and cultivate it in when I worked on a farm.

It depends, if they are black piles that seem to form a round dome shape and a crust that will start to crack then its human. Also look for tomatoes growing at the end of spring. (Not a joke they really happen)

The stuff with straw in is animal.

It's easy to tell the difference as the human stuff smells really sweet and sickly, animal just stinks.

I used to spread it and cultivate it in when I worked on a farm.

I quite like the animal smell

The human one though- thats a different kettle of fish

I had always thought that human waste could only be spread on non food crops such as biomass and christmas trees... must have got it wrong unless thats a scottish law...

Must be Scottish law. Spread it on wheat and rape crops. Not sure where the crop went when harvested so could have gone to animal feed rather than our food chain. This I'm not sure on so don't take it as gosbal.

Bio-solids can only be spread on to land which is due to be cultivated. It cannot be spread onto grassland for the above reason. It can only be applied to land where combinable crops are being grown and not ground destined for Vining Peas, Fieldscale vegetables (Lettuce, brassicas etc) Sugar Beet or Potatos.

The same applies to the pellets that are produced by Anglia and Southern Water. They where practically possible have to be incorporated within 24hrs.

Your local Environmental Health office will have been notified about the sludge injection as well as The EA.

Whilst I accept that it is not very "nice" it has to go somewhere.

I spend most of the Summer spreading this under contract To Anglia Water and imagine the grief I get when spreading next to large populations on a Bank Holiday.

The short answer to this is: You stop producing it, we will stop spreading it!:sneaky2: