Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a little climb with the bearing in place and to be honest it didn't seem to be any better. I think one thing is that the HH is designed for rope between 11mm & 13mm and using the steel crab. As I'm on a 13mm and then the bearing effectively made the crab 2 or 3mm thicker then the bearing was in constant contact with the rope and made it a little tight. It may work really well with an 11mm rope but with a 13mm you're better off without. Still good fun having a little play to see if it did work though 😃

Hi Gerbutt, I'm looking into SRT atm and the HH seems intriguing!!! How do you find it o the 13mm XTC as that is what i climb on at the minute! I know it's probably mentioned on a different page but what cord do you guys use for the small length of rope with two eyes (self sewn)? Is that to attach a chest strop?

Cheers,

Jake H

Hiya Jake

It runs soundly on that rope, I really like it. I do imagine though that it'll run a whole lot better on a thinner rope, but I don't know that for sure as 13mm xtc is all I have. The little loop thing is hand stitched out of 6mm rope from go out doors. I did make a taped version out of some rope from B&Q and it was just as good, the only reason I changed it is because I like making things!

I'd highly recommend the HH, it's ace 👍

Oh and yes the little loop's for the chest sling to clip into to advance.

Edited by Gerbutt

Hiya Jake

It runs soundly on that rope, I really like it. I do imagine though that it'll run a whole lot better on a thinner rope, but I don't know that for sure as 13mm xtc is all I have. The little loop thing is hand stitched out of 6mm rope from go out doors. I did make a taped version out of some rope from B&Q and it was just as good, the only reason I changed it is because I like making things!

I'd highly recommend the HH, it's ace 👍

Oh and yes the little loop's for the chest sling to clip into to advance.

Hmmm the HH is sounding very tempting!!! Did I read correct in a prev post that you use it DdRT as well?? Or do you just change from DdRT to SRTWP?

Jake

That's the beauty of it Jake, you don't have to do anything to change from one to the other and it works just as well in both modes. Last week I was climbing some tall(ish) chestnuts. I throwlined in as high as I could, srt'd up quickly, changed to drt to climb to the top and set tip. As I was only getting a few bits of dead wood and raising field side I stayed with drt so I didn't have to remove the HH to retrieve.

It would have been good to get the tip straight away and base tie but that will come 😃