Poorly Oaks

Glen Poole

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry that I haven't been in touch lately but I was involved in a crash with a 20 ton grab lorry that wrote off my brand new Fiesta van which resulted in me being taken to hospital & having to have 6 weeks of physio & and another 4 to go so work & home life have been a little hectic since then.

I have been in touch today with Dr Sandra Denman from the Forestry Commission & I have some news.

In summary, they finished the analysis of the samples first taken & they are surprised at the results. They found the AOD bacteria associated with the lesions. They also found some fungi particulary Fusarium solani & these (from memory) are associated with brown streaking in the vascular tissues.

The site was visited again a couple of weeks ago & resampled some of the trees & are in the process of analyzing those samples.

We are know looking to see if the trees were imported from Europe or are they of local provenance & home grown right through.

In conclusion at this stage, the Forestry Commission has said this is one of the youngest set of trees they have ever isolated the bacteria from - and this is very worrying. They need to have more information about origins & planting conditions as well as a deeper look for insect damage. However, if AOD is the primary cause of the problem then its devastating, they have never seen such mangled trees.

Be patient. I will update soon.