Confused Recommend me a chainsaw

Figgy

Hello all new member.

I've read loads of posts on chainsaws and every time I think that's the one for me, either problems with that model or other makes are deemed better.

For a novice it's confusing, so I'm asking the knowledgeable folk here for advice.

I need a new chainsaw my seven year old 16" bq special is cack,the new saw will be used for firewood in the future but first it needs to cut up 30 very large mature conifers on my land that are getting dropped for me, I will cut and dry for the fire. So I need one that can manage a good hammering to start with then be light enough for seasonal firewood cutting for years to come. I don't think a domestic one would last. I was leaning towards Stihl as have a long reach hedge trimmer that has give six years of trouble free service. But reports read on here have put me off them a bit.

Thanks for any help and advice given

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to need to get round the fact that the 260 has been discontinued and replaced with the 261...

Reviews of the 261 I have read were excellent, although some users have reported faults which develop fairly quickly in professional use.

That said, for what sounds more like domestic levels of use a 261 should prove a great saw for you, if a little pricey, but I did find a new one online for a shade over £500 .... Stihl MS261 Chainsaw with 18? Bar | Stihl Dealer Norfolk Suffolk Cambridge Essex

It's what I'd go for if I was in the market. [i'd have a shorter bar mind you...]

I have a 2001 260 which has never missed a beat from new. I have an 025 and 460 as well and the 260 is still the one I pick up first.

It's about due a carb overhaul & re-tune but it's been a brilliant saw, worthy of the classic status and cult following it seems to have.... The 261 is certainly starting from the right place....

You're going to need to get round the fact that the 260 has been discontinued and replaced with the 261...

Reviews of the 261 I have read were excellent, although some users have reported faults which develop fairly quickly in professional use.

That said, for what sounds more like domestic levels of use a 261 should prove a great saw for you, if a little pricey, but I did find a new one online for a shade over £500 .... Stihl MS261 Chainsaw with 18? Bar | Stihl Dealer Norfolk Suffolk Cambridge Essex

It's what I'd go for if I was in the market. [i'd have a shorter bar mind you...]

I have a 2001 260 which has never missed a beat from new. I have an 025 and 460 as well and the 260 is still the one I pick up first.

It's about due a carb overhaul & re-tune but it's been a brilliant saw, worthy of the classic status and cult following it seems to have.... The 261 is certainly starting from the right place....

I've just gone and put an 18"narrow kerf Oregon bar and chain (thanks rob d) on it and it flies.

Any one else done that?

Moosie

On my Samsung Note - It's big, but it's good

Cheers lads after reading previous posts on here I had more or less decided on a MS 261 or 550XP then read all the horror stories with reliability,so are theese saws still the ones to go for.

You need to put 'all the horror stories' into perspective.

Thousands of these saws are sold, some of the ones used day in day out have problems, these are the ones which get talked about.

Unless you're working the saw hard every day for a living, it's unlikely that you're going to experience the same issues.

Additionally, they've been out a while now, I know Stihl have made changes to some of the problematic saws within the new range, Husky probably have too, so chances are these teething troubles [which you get in all new equipment, be it chainsaws, cars, tractors or mobile phones] have been ironed out by now.... If they were as bad as some people would have you believe, they would never have been released to market in the first place... :001_smile: