questions regarding Ifor trailers and overloading

Matthew Storrs

am about to purchase a 2.8 ton digger with post knocker approx 350kg, the trailer weighs 720kg so gross weight is 3870kg. Overweight I know, it will be drawn by a 70hp tractor.

My dilemma is tractor does not have hydraulic trailer brakes (it has air brake adaptabilitty but costs £££ for the trailer.

So Ifors with overun brakes seem the obvious choice apart from the weight issue. I suppose the question is does a tri axle trailer have the capacity to hold more then the GW that ifor state, I recently saw an Ifor with a 5 ton tractor on it:sneaky2: and that seemed to be coping allright, but i wondered what Ifor based their gross weights on with regards to triaxle trailers. because surely the weight is dividded 3ways so you wouldn't be overloadding like you would on dual axles.

I know it may be frowned upon but it will only be towed by a tractor, so strain on the towing vehicle is minimal compared with a Landyetc.

Anyone else have this problem or do you just overload and crack on with it.

The trailer may be strong enough, but the hitch isn't,t rated for anymore than 3500kg load normally. Also the floor and cross beams would need to line up with the point loads in the machine or the floor tends to dip.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha quite the opposite- 30year old Zetor but I believe as it has the air comressor and the coupling next to the trailer lights it can be rigged for air brakes (although havn't fully explored this avenue). As the tractor is only 70hp 4wd I don't think Id want to tow much more then 5ton behind it so I wouldn't benfit from a large trailer if Ifor types are able to fullfill my needs.

Oh back to drawing board. I am not sure how an ifor williams drawbar would survive on the back of a tractor with no suspension and overloaded. Caravan dealers were rejecting warrantee claims if you towed behind a double cab or commercial vehicle.

Oh back to drawing board. I am not sure how an ifor williams drawbar would survive on the back of a tractor with no suspension and overloaded. Caravan dealers were rejecting warrantee claims if you towed behind a double cab or commercial vehicle.

thats a point i hadn't thought of. there is a lot of snatching and no give in the tractor obviously so the stress would be transfered starigt to the tow hitch and drawbar.

Over 3.5T and you're into assisted brakes which means that you'll have the joy of plating (MOT) every year to factor in.

My LM166 is 3.5T 16' bed and has been grossly overloaded for the last 11 years and still going strong. They're tough. Last week was 0.5T all in with 4.5T of concrete blocks and the trailer with sides and 8' ramps is 0.8T, so just under 6T. The problem comes when towing heavy long loads. 3T of 6.4m (21') steel snaked at anything over 40mph, whereas i've had much bigger loads behave.

Won't say what the biggest load was as it was ridiculous, this is not a willy waving contest, and i would like to keep my Operators License:blushing:

Regards,

The Stig.

cheers for replys, Elfinwood- Im guessing your Zetor has a specific hydraulic brake outlet? Is it possible to just plug the trailer into the standard aux hydrulics and just use the lever in the cab to apply the brakes? or is this a bit naughty?!

My tractor only has the standard 2 hydraulic outlets so I don't think it has the option for running hydraulic braked trailers

i have a ifor tb serise trailer and its plated at 3.5 ton but in france the same trailer is plated at 4 ton when i asked about it its due to uk road laws and not trailer build we have a saying round here if it look right it will be alright i tow with a 110 defender gross train off 6550kg and regulary ron at about 7.5 tons so dont be put off especilly as your towin with a tractor 70hp is plenty

i have a ifor tb serise trailer and its plated at 3.5 ton but in france the same trailer is plated at 4 ton when i asked about it its due to uk road laws and not trailer build we have a saying round here if it look right it will be alright i tow with a 110 defender gross train off 6550kg and regulary ron at about 7.5 tons so dont be put off especilly as your towin with a tractor 70hp is plenty

Do they fit a different hitch because the biggest overrun unit in the uk is 3500kg and its plated so cant get round it.