Potential ANCIENT tree removal

Ross Smith

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep she is gonna be safe by tommorow!:blushing:

It seems to be the culture we live in Tone! I have seen ancient trees abroad propped up or fenced off rather than felled, they see the value in keeping these old guardians alive where possible we seem to want to just rid our selfs of any liability.

It seems to be the culture we live in Tone! I have seen ancient trees abroad propped up or fenced off rather than felled, they see the value in keeping these old guardians alive where possible we seem to want to just rid our selfs of any liability.

Sadly that's exactly right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iknow, and there would appear to be a brick wallof ignorance to any alternatives here, thats why Im almost resigned to Europe, just building up the courage

Very interesting thread .

Thanks for the posts Ross; it takes intelligence to question judgements of this sort. You are always ‘exposed’ when stepping out of line and it requires a certain degree of courage

Tony Croft is expressing the polemic here as he does elsewhere and with great effect. It is absolutely necessary to do this because as this case demonstrates so well, ‘professional’ judgments are so often based on nothing more than speculation: no real measurements: no real science. If we don’t have real data on which to base judgments about significant cost or safety issues, experience shows that most of us resort to prejudice. That is the antithesis of good judgement.

God this thread has spewed out some rubbish! Ross, just take the goddam tree down and stop hand wringing about it!

Tony you are absolutely full of it! Resigning yourself to going to Europe! what a laugh!

Remember the last time you flounced out of Arbtalk? back with your tail between your legs a week later! citing some manufactured nonsense about picture copyright, as if!

I remember you saying that you were going to start a charity helping tree surgeons to understand the enviroment or somesuch and other grandiose projects which all came to nothing.

Now you are threatening to leave the country "when you bulid up the courage"

Taking you seriously has never been easy, lately it's becoming downright impossible.

Very interesting thread .

Thanks for the posts Ross; it takes intelligence to question judgements of this sort. You are always ‘exposed’ when stepping out of line and it requires a certain degree of courage

Tony Croft is expressing the polemic here as he does elsewhere and with great effect. It is absolutely necessary to do this because as this case demonstrates so well, ‘professional’ judgments are so often based on nothing more than speculation: no real measurements: no real science. If we don’t have real data on which to base judgments about significant cost or safety issues, experience shows that most of us resort to prejudice. That is the antithesis of good judgement.

I thought this word, worth a google and a post. I guess polemics don't get invited to many dinner parties:001_smile:

A polemic.

A contentious argument that is intended to establish the truth of a specific belief and the falsity of the contrary belief.

A person who often writes polemics, or who speaks polemically, is a polemicist or a polemic. The word is derived from the Greek word meaning "warlike, hostile", which comes from polemos, "war".

Along with debate, polemics are one of the most common forms of arguing. Similar to debate, a polemic is confined to a definite controversial thesis. But unlike debate, which may allow for common ground between the two disputants, a polemic is intended only to establish the truth of a point of view while refuting the opposing point of view.

Edited by Albedo
spelling