Late cancellations as a subbie... Charge? Fee?

swinny

If your for real, then I will see you at your yard next time it is about to rain...:001_tt2:

If you are takin' the pi55, I wouldn't have been working for you anyway.:biggrin:

Not taking the proverbial. Thats what we do when it rains and its a very very last minute cancellation. My gf always asks why i know so many nice restaurants and breakfast rooms, she thinks ive got another woman, its the weather girl..... I look forward to wet days, if youve eaten at wyleys in warwick you'd know why

Admittedly i wont buy you a set of waterproofs as i would not get the benefit as we wouldnt work in the rain.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see anything wrong in a young up and coming subbie climber protecting his interests with some t&c's and enforcing it in appropriate circumstances . We are all decent folks on here but know fine well this industry is rife with genuine undesirables .

As long as it is considered from both parties point of view i cant see a problem. But if a subby had such terms that hed charge me for any cancellation then id cetainly be writing a set of terms of business that protected me equally from any unfortunate mishaps his end. especially on a monday morning after a christening that had been forgooten about, or the stag do that got silly. THis is not aimed at anybody personally and is purely an example of what can happen.

As long as it is considered from both parties point of view i cant see a problem. But if a subby had such terms that hed charge me for any cancellation then id cetainly be writing a set of terms of business that protected me equally from any unfortunate mishaps his end. especially on a monday morning after a christening that had been forgooten about, or the stag do that got silly. THis is not aimed at anybody personally and is purely an example of what can happen.

What can he do chained to traffic lights !! :laugh1:

There's another slant to this . What if the subbie is making you a ton of money but then stings you for a full day rate because of a cancellation . Do you put your morals to the side for a bit ?? Business is business , were not in this to make friends ?

To be honest, most of my subbies become good friends. Those that dont is usually due to a clash of personality and therefore we do not tend to work together much.

But if a subbie was earning me a lot of money, beyond the pale, on a regular basis, he would have been payed extra at the end period of work. So I would not feel the need for him to justifiably charge me for the one occasion a cancellation occured. If he did id return to my opinion on this matter and say i find it unjust to charge a full days pay for a one off cancelled shift.

So whilst were delving deeper into scenarios that occur, would you expect a company to charge you for breakages?

I had a chap drop an 020 of a carry tool clip that i didnt realise hed clipped the saw on with, smashing the bar and wrecking the chainbrake, dented a garage door with a branch he chucked, took out a phone line and then continuely started the other 020saw with his hand on the trigger and the chainbrake on causing the saw to rev for a good five seconds without the chain spinning, to which i commented that that is highly likely to cause some damage to the clutch long term. His response was how long have you been climbing for. He never worked again through mutual agreement but i still payed him his wage. Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by jaime bray

To be honest, most of my subbies become good friends. Those that dont is usually due to a clash of personality and therefore we do not tend to work together much.

But if a subbie was earning me a lot of money, beyond the pale, on a regular basis, he would have been payed extra at the end period of work. So I would not feel the need for him to justifiably charge me for the one occasion a cancellation occured. If he did id return to my opinion on this matter and say i find it unjust to charge a full days pay for a one off cancelled shift.

So whilst were delving deeper into scenarios that occur, would you expect a company to charge you for breakages?

I had a chap drop an 020 of a carry tool clip that i didnt realise hed clipped the saw on with, smashing the bar and wrecking the chainbrake, dented a garage door with a branch he chucked, took out a phone line and then continuely started the other 020saw with his hand on the trigger and the chainbrake on causing the saw to rev for a good five seconds without the chain spinning, to which i commented that that is highly likely to cause some damage to the clutch long term. His response was how long have you been climbing for. He never worked again through mutual agreement but i still payed him his wage. Swings and roundabouts.

Do subbie climbers pay for breakages ?? Do they have their own pli for these scenarios ? Maybe some on here can tell us .

I agree .. would find it difficult if not impossible to hire an obnoxious individual regardless of his financial benefits

Do subbie climbers pay for breakages ?? Do they have their own pli for these scenarios ? Maybe some on here can tell us .

I agree .. would find it difficult if not impossible to hire an obnoxious individual regardless of his financial benefits

He would only work for me once, fortunately most of the subbie climbers I have used have a great attitude and ability, all there own kit and insurance even though my insurance covers them it shows they are serious. I did have a subbie grounds who used to just thrw things around, knock plant pots over I had told him to move, felled a tree on a footbridge etc, he couldn't see why I never used him again:)