What have we here then?

Lee Winger

Looks like a top handle saw to me? http://www.toolmix.com/browse/product.asp?pid=85323&s52cnc=SHOPZILLA&s52r=SHOPZILLA

I saw this new saw from Makita, in this weeks Hort Week, in the Sally's helpline section..

It reads

Extending its range of professional power tools, Makita have introduced a small lithium-ion cordless chainsaw to its portfolio, DESIGNED TO PROVIDE CONSTRUCTION PROFESSIONALS A LIGHTWEIGHT AND HIGHLY MANEUVERABLE SAW, FOR ON SITE OPERATIONS, THE SAW COULD APPEAL TO LANDSCAPERS, UNDERTAKING TIMBER TASKS SUCH AS PERGOLA CONSTRUCTION..

Either Makita or Sally [Hort Week] have got it wrong IMO, what do you lot say? or is it one rule for one and one rule for another..

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but following all the HSE guidelines would you still need to wear your hearing protection??????

I'm more concerned mate that they [sally] are suggesting the saw can be used on the ground, I thought using top handle saws on the ground was illegal? be they electric or petrol

I'm more concerned mate that they [sally] is suggesting the saw can be used on the ground, I thought using top handle saws on the ground was illegal?

Has there ever been a prosecution? i dont know, i have seen loads of photos of people using top handles on the ground recently especially in river conservation where waving a rear handle saw around can be a real pita, i assume it would be a breach of afag guidelines and hse would go after un-safe practises but in a domestic situation you only have to look at the amount of tophandles on ebay that must be going to the public as a nice small compact saw :scared1:

but i can see where you coming from, should makita dealers be making sure that anyone buying this saw has cs39?

I,ve always been under the impression that if caught using a top handle on the ground you would be fined £2000.

Surely, for this to be the case there would have to be an actual law in place regarding the correct situations in which this equipment can be used. If that is the case then it would apply to everyone, wouldn't it?

I'm more concerned mate that they [sally] are suggesting the saw can be used on the ground, I thought using top handle saws on the ground was illegal? be they electric or petrol

I always understood that’s its not illegal, just against HSE guide lines and good working practice.

Surely, for this to be the case there would have to be an actual law in place regarding the correct situations in which this equipment can be used. If that is the case then it would apply to everyone, wouldn't it?

I,m only quoting my instructor. I would imagine it only applies to professionals as Joe public cannot be prosecuted for having accidents at home or in the garden. It all changes when you start earning money whatever job youre doing.