The ipad replacement is here!

18 stoner

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never had anything Apple so may stand to be corrected, but it will accept memory card, full size usb, and run office. All bonuses to me personally but I may stand corrected if the ipad will do the same.

I need to get a bit more gen read up before I make the decision.

Not really sure what it has or does that the ipad doesnt tbh.

As I understand it, it's more a case of 'why does the ipad only do so little'...

This I believe, is to be a proper PC, capable of proper PC stuff.

It's turned my wife's head, thankfully, which hopefully will allow us to escape becoming one of the millions who have bought iPads and has then had to convince themselves, and everyone around them, they're the most amazing thing ever, and not a monumental waste of too many hundreds of quids.....

When in actual fact they're just an iphone you can't really use as a phone.... :001_rolleyes:

Not sold on the ipad in any way, shape or form I'm afraid.

And this coming from a lifelong Apple man as well....:001_huh:

As I understand it, it's more a case of 'why does the ipad only do so little'...

This I believe, is to be a proper PC, capable of proper PC stuff.

This is Microsoft's great hope, people want tablets to be PC's but they don't want the limitations a PC has (like a clunky OS and management of etc) oh dear it's got a Windows OS! FAIL.

If people want a tablet they will go and buy an iPad or and android equiv, if corporates want to equip their staff with tablets (because everyone is walking through the door with one and taking company data out) then they will buy the MS version so that they can secure the nuts out of it, easily. This is Microsoft's market place, large corporates.

If Joe public buys one then it's because either they like MS or because they aren't aware how to use the iPad/Android properly and think it's just a multimedia device.

A PC is a PC and a tablet is a tablet, only cloud computing can change this and you won't need local storage and the ability to connect all sorts of crap you had to on a PC just to make it useable.

Edited by Nick Watkins

I do think its good that there are ever more options available, although I still think Apple are ahead of the game.

I used to use usb and office, not any more. Memory is largely irrelevant with wifi and mobile data, as you can access remotely stored data anywhere.

I bought an iPad for my wife as she is doing a masters which involves lots of literature reviews etc, the first year she spend carrying huge amounts of books and printed articles, now she just has the iPad.

The big software developers are getting left behind as anyone can write an app and market it, so things are moving much more quickly, big bloated expensive software like Office and Explorer are going to be history soon.

Not saying that Apple have it all right, there are niggly issues and bugbears especially about pricing and compatibility, but overall the futures bright!